Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 42" riding mower leaves strips in lawn.

NY

06-06-06, 05:32 PM   #1  
Craftsman 42" riding mower leaves strips in lawn.

I have a Craftsman 42" 18 hp rider. It seems to alway leave strips in the lawn when you cut the grass. I put on new blades, still leaves strips. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

Non-US

06-06-06, 08:29 PM   #2  
How long is the grass & @ what speed are you cutting @?? If you're mulching, you'll have to go fairly slow for the blades to chew everything up!!

06-07-06, 09:45 AM   #3  
Deck adjustment, tires under inflated and belive it or not on my mower I had the same problem and the blade adaptor had rounded out.

Crom

CANADA

06-07-06, 10:45 AM   #4  
Make sure you clean under your deck fairly often. I can tell when my 38" Rally needs a cleaning because it leaves a strip.

Arn

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-08-06, 12:12 AM   #5  
Also if the front of the deck is too low, or if the blades are on upside down it will cause this.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-08-06, 03:03 AM   #6  
I've seen on many Craftsman's that on those without gauge wheels on the deck they instead use a skid plate under the front of the mower deck and this plate sweeps back and actually under the blade slightly. Don't ask me why but they do create a situation whereas the blades of grass are bent over and don't allow the grass to be cut. You would think that as the grass gets out and past this plate it would stand up and be cut more towards the rear of the cutting chamber, but for some reason it doesn't work that way on these models. We've removed this skid plate on these models and the problem has been solved.

06-08-06, 08:07 AM   #7  
Posted By: puey61 I've seen on many Craftsman's that on those without gauge wheels on the deck they instead use a skid plate under the front of the mower deck and this plate sweeps back and actually under the blade slightly. Don't ask me why but they do create a situation whereas the blades of grass are bent over and don't allow the grass to be cut. You would think that as the grass gets out and past this plate it would stand up and be cut more towards the rear of the cutting chamber, but for some reason it doesn't work that way on these models. We've removed this skid plate on these models and the problem has been solved.
What's the purpose of this skid plate? The skid plate on my mower deck is only about a foot and a half long and basically goes under the shute opening. I had to remove mine because it was bent and would not let the deck level out. Am I hurting any thing by not having this on there?

06-08-06, 11:56 AM   #8  
Posted By: Ham What's the purpose of this skid plate? I had to remove mine because it was bent and would not let the deck level out. Am I hurting any thing by not having this on there?
Those plates are anti-scalping devices meant to keep the blade tips from digging into the ground. Common on decks without gauge wheels. The one on the side also adds structural integrity to the opening by the chute. The deck could flex more without the plates and will throw rocks much more efficiently without it in place.

Search this Thread