Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ryobi 725r leaks fuel

06-08-06, 09:24 AM   #1  
Ryobi 725r leaks fuel

My Ryobi 725r is leaking fuel from under the heat shield (I think it is a heat shield). It actually look like black sludge, but it has to be fuel. Is there a gasket or other part that needs to be replaced?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

AL

06-08-06, 10:18 AM   #2  
Posted By: piginapen My Ryobi 725r is leaking fuel from under the heat shield (I think it is a heat shield). It actually look like black sludge, but it has to be fuel. Is there a gasket or other part that needs to be replaced?

Thanks
The only " heat shield" that I can think of is around the cylinder.If it's leaking from there,changes are your cylinder is lose or you've got a blown cylinder gasket.

I've looked all over a PDF exploded view of a Ryobi 725r also and that's all I can see,that you might be talking about.
I can email it to you if had your email address.

06-09-06, 05:46 AM   #3  
Thanks

please send the exploded view to [email protected]

Thanks

06-27-06, 12:31 PM   #4  
gas line

i have the same problem. the gas SEEMS to be coming from the engine somewhere, but it covers so much it's impossible to determine where after the engine is turned off. however, i've figured out that it's NOT coming from the engine at all. the heat from the engine (and probably from being stored in the sauna of a garage) actually shrinks the gas lines. after this happens over a short period of time, the holes in the bottom of the gas tank seep gas onto the engine and eventually cover the whole unit with dark, oily, gas. the solution is to change the fuel lines often. seems like a pain, but once you learn how to do it, it's not so bad.

good luck

cj

NC

07-01-06, 06:59 PM   #5  
I think this is the same problem I am having with my Ryobi string trimmer - it doesn't seem to hold prime. And it has been leaking gas for quite a while. Where do you get the fuel lines? Are they standard sizes that I can pick up anywhere?

07-01-06, 09:35 PM   #6  
The size you need for Ryobi is

3/16 x 3/32

ID=3/32 (inner diameter)

OD=3/16 (outer diameter)

wall=3/64 ( wall thickness)

This is the most common size fuel line used on 95% of the 2cycle equipment including Ryobi.

10-12-06, 11:10 PM   #7  
Does anybody have a good digital pic of how the fuel lines go, my kid decided to fix my ryobi 725r and pulled the fuel lines out. One line goes from the gas tank to the prime bulb, but when I plug the fuel line in and prime gas squirts out another outlet on the prime bulb assemble.

Visiting Guest

10-13-06, 08:45 AM   #8  
Azis
If you remove the lines from the primer, press the primer and feel which nipple blows or pushes, this line returns to the tank. The other nipple when the primer is released should suck, this connects from the carb. There should be another line that goes from the tank, (line with filter in tank) to the carb.
The primer bulb is to prime the carb by sucking fuel from the tank through the carb to the primer bulb and back to the tank.

TX

10-15-06, 12:22 PM   #9  
Go to lowe's and get the kit,comes with the primer bulb and fuel line part #683974,it will show you on the back how the fuel lines go.

Jerry

10-17-06, 02:17 PM   #10  
Great thread.
My 725r needs its fuel lines replaced.
I just slapped new tubing on there, clamped it down real good, but before I fire it up, I want to make sure I have the configuration right.
The bottom of the tank has two holes.
One towards the cutting edge of the machine, and one towards the back.
The primer bulb has two nipples.
The carb has two nipples, too. One on top, and one on the bottom which is L shaped.
I have the filter in the tank, out to the bulb, out of the bulb and into the bottom of the carb (L shaped nipple). Then I have out from the top of the carb through the firewall into the other hole on the tank (closest to cutting edge) (not that that should matter). That line has the white plastic ring decorating the tube where the tube enters the tank. I dont see how this is so functional (it isnt SO snug on the line I'm replacing with, but it stays in place). But it was there when the thing fell apart (I think) (maybe it was snug around the filter). But zipties are quite handy for this project, so everything is pretty much snug wherever there is a connection. This return line is just barely inside the tank. Should it be deeper, with the end towards the top of the fluid level?

So like I said, before I fire it up, I just wanted to come inside and see if I can find a manual or a photo of how it should be. If anyone can scan one into their computer and upload it here, surely it would help some folks later down the line, as this thread ranks pretty good in Google for Ryobi 725r, and has a good amount of views already (379 atm).

Well, wish me good luck!

Maybe I can find that part kit somewhere online, back to searching

10-17-06, 02:23 PM   #11  
Here's the manual on Amazon, in case anyone here needs it, but it doesn't show a closeup of the gas lines.
http://media-server.amazon.com/exec/drm/digital/moleproxy.cgi?name=UnlvYmkgNzI1UiAyLUN5Y2xlIEN1cnZlZCBTaGFmdCBUcmltbWVyUGx1cyBTdHJpbmcgTWFudWFs&file=TUFOVUFMMDAwMDA4OTk3LnBkZg==

Sorry for the long link, but its better than nothing.
(apparently you can't post clickable links here)

10-17-06, 02:30 PM   #12  
another manual, different than the other, shows replacement parts, but not a good closeup of the fuel lines. Maybe it will be useful for someone, somewhere.
http://dixiesales.com/ipl/9/705r_725r.pdf

Visiting Guest

10-17-06, 03:37 PM   #13  
Azis
Posted By: Azis If you remove the lines from the primer, press the primer and feel which nipple blows or pushes, this line returns to the tank. The other nipple when the primer is released should suck, this connects from the carb. There should be another line that goes from the tank, (line with filter in tank) to the carb.
The primer bulb is to prime the carb by sucking fuel from the tank through the carb to the primer bulb and back to the tank.
How to route the fuel lines

06-02-07, 01:11 PM   #14  
Thanks!!

Thanks, guys. This is exactly the information I needed, right down to the part about the kid taking it apart.

One warning: If you attempt to change all the fuel lines, as I did, there's one that comes from the fuel tank and goes to the check valve (looks like a splice in the middle of the line). To remove the tank end, uou must first slide the white washer back, then reach into the tank with e.g. a screwdriver and hold the filter in place. Then remove the tubing, while holding the filter. Still holding the filter, slide the washer way onto a new piece of tubing. Slide the tubing onto the filter, and then slide the washer down over the end of the tubing that's on the filter nipple until it's flush with the tank. Now you can let go of the screwdriver that's holding the filter.

I got 3/32 x 3/16 tubing at Lowe's and felt it wasn't a very tight fit.

07-08-07, 09:35 PM   #15  
Lowe's kit...

Posted By: jsouth Go to lowe's and get the kit,comes with the primer bulb and fuel line part #683974,it will show you on the back how the fuel lines go.

Jerry
Jerry, or anyone else, does Lowes still carry this product? I ask because I couldn't find it either in their online store, or in one of their local stores...

If you know of any other places that carry this kit, please do share. I really need the primer bulb, which has ruptured... Heck, if you aware of another primer bulb, not even designed for this application, but that has the right male hose connections, I'm sure it can be made to work...

Thanks much!

AL

07-08-07, 10:55 PM   #16  
TonyB,any small engine repair shop has the primmer bulb you need (or can order you 1) and fuel lines also.

07-08-07, 11:31 PM   #17  
Hey, thanks for the prompt reply! I live in the San Jose Bay Area (CA). Just look in the yellow pages under "small engines" or what? I appreciate the assistance, thank you.

AL

07-09-07, 03:52 AM   #18  
Yes...find one near your location and they'll have what you need.

TX

09-19-07, 08:20 PM   #19  
I bought 3/32 x 3/16 tubing also, it wasn't a very tight fit.

How can tubing be fixed to have a more snug fit over the nipples?

Last edited by Rob1931; 09-19-07 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo

AL

09-19-07, 10:58 PM   #20  
making do with larger fuel line

I've taken a 1/2" piece if fuel line that fits the nipples on the primmer bulb and the carb. both,cut a sharp point on one end and forced a bigger piece of fuel line on top of it and the nipple.This will hold thght and not leak.

TX

10-16-07, 06:43 PM   #21  
Posted By: johnwhite Does anybody have a good digital pic of how the fuel lines go, my kid decided to fix my ryobi 725r and pulled the fuel lines out. One line goes from the gas tank to the prime bulb, but when I plug the fuel line in and prime gas squirts out another outlet on the prime bulb assemble.
John: Try this. I think it is what you want.
http://smallenginetalk.com/thread/20

TX

10-16-07, 06:48 PM   #22  
Posted By: MediaHound Great thread.
My 725r needs its fuel lines replaced.
I just slapped new tubing on there, clamped it down real good, but before I fire it up, I want to make sure I have the configuration right.
The bottom of the tank has two holes.
One towards the cutting edge of the machine, and one towards the back.
The primer bulb has two nipples.
The carb has two nipples, too. One on top, and one on the bottom which is L shaped.
I have the filter in the tank, out to the bulb, out of the bulb and into the bottom of the carb (L shaped nipple). Then I have out from the top of the carb through the firewall into the other hole on the tank (closest to cutting edge) (not that that should matter). That line has the white plastic ring decorating the tube where the tube enters the tank. I dont see how this is so functional (it isnt SO snug on the line I'm replacing with, but it stays in place). But it was there when the thing fell apart (I think) (maybe it was snug around the filter). But zipties are quite handy for this project, so everything is pretty much snug wherever there is a connection. This return line is just barely inside the tank. Should it be deeper, with the end towards the top of the fluid level?

So like I said, before I fire it up, I just wanted to come inside and see if I can find a manual or a photo of how it should be. If anyone can scan one into their computer and upload it here, surely it would help some folks later down the line, as this thread ranks pretty good in Google for Ryobi 725r, and has a good amount of views already (379 atm).

Well, wish me good luck!

Maybe I can find that part kit somewhere online, back to searching
Try this. I think it is what you want.

OR

05-22-08, 01:52 PM   #23  
Ryobi cultivator

My Ryobi cultivator is an older model 410R. I don't know if the gas tank, etc are the same as the ones in this thread. In the course of replacing the lines the fuel filter got broken. Is it a standard kind I can find somewhere with the same size nipple, etc?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-23-08, 12:17 AM   #24  
There should be one equivalent to yours at your local small engine repair shop. Take yours in for comparison.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-04-08, 03:07 PM   #25  
Sorry to bring back an old topic. I have the same problem here. I replaced all of my fuel lines correctly, but as soon as I put fuel in the tank, gas leaks through the line (the line with the fuel filter), into the carb, and on the ground. What did I do wrong?

TX

11-05-08, 06:16 PM   #26  
Posted By: Burns711 Sorry to bring back an old topic. I have the same problem here. I replaced all of my fuel lines correctly, but as soon as I put fuel in the tank, gas leaks through the line (the line with the fuel filter), into the carb, and on the ground. What did I do wrong?

The nipple on the fuel filter that the fuel hose is attached to needs to be pulled out through the hole in the fuel tank, this area will cause the fuel line to seal tightly in the hole and prevent fuel from leaking.

05-28-09, 11:55 AM   #27  
cannot access this website

Posted By: Brushybill799 John: Try this. I think it is what you want.
Hi Brushybill, I tried to go to this website but it would not come up. Do you have a email version of it that you could send to me. My email is [email protected]. Thanks for the help.

05-30-09, 03:13 PM   #28  
Still cannot access get error 500

hI COULD YOU COPY AND PASTE THIS FOR ME SINCE i CANNOT GET THIS WEBSITE OR HELP ME GET THE SITE ANOTHER WAY? MUCH THANKS DAVE

Super Moderator

AZ

05-30-09, 03:18 PM   #29  
brushybill last posted in 2007...sites go down or change. And the last post was '08. You may have to hunt down an equivalent or ask a new question..maybe someone has something similar.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

07-03-09, 06:02 AM   #30  
carb repair wt340

guys, Ijust got done replacing all the componants for my carb and it still does the same thing . It starts but doesn't last but about 10 seconds. Doesn't seem to get fuel. What next

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-03-09, 08:56 PM   #31  
What's it on? You might want to start a new thread...this one is already getting confusing with so many folks discussing different problems with different machines.

God bless!

07-19-09, 09:37 AM   #32  
Proper Fuel Line Locations

The primer on the 725R is a "Sucker," not a "Blower."
1. Fuel filter "in tank" (hole closest to carb), to Bottom of carb.
2. Upper Carb connection to primer pump in
3. Primer pump out to tank return (smaller hole closest to cutter shaft).

If the filters been sitting dry for a while, you might want to replace it. One good indication of a clogged filter is a slugish return after pressing the priming bulb.

Last edited by RexTrons; 07-19-09 at 10:17 AM.

MI

07-12-11, 09:02 AM   #33  
Ryobi 725r leaks fuel

The fuel primer line on my 725R Ryobi trimmer that goes into the fuel tank keeps falling out of the tank. Is there supposed to be something inside the tank that holds the line in place?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-12-11, 09:31 AM   #34  
You need a new line. It should fit tightly and hold itself there. Old lines dry and get stiff, no longer compressing themselves in the hole.

God bless!

Search this Thread