Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

6.5hp honda no start

MI

06-08-06, 07:27 PM   #1  
6.5hp honda no start

I have a brand new honda 6.5hp running a 3" water pump I just ordered. The engine wont start, has spark and will fire on starting fluid sometimes and somtimes it will backfire out the exhaust. I was hoping someone would know what the problem is. I can send it back but shipping may be more then fixing whatever the problem is. I was hoping its something simple. There is gas in the tank and the shut off valve is open. If anyone has any idea I would love to hear it. Im used to B&S so far honda hasent impressed me at all.

Sponsored Links

IA

06-08-06, 07:55 PM   #2  
Bob

Michael:

I would hold off on the starting fluid. It should start on gasoline. The backfiring could indicate flooding.

I see its a new engine. Have you had it running at all? What have you tried to start it? I'm sure you've checked the oil level.

I would start from scratch. Pull the plug, shut off the gas at the tank, open the throttle and spin it over about ten times.

Then put a spoonful of gas down the plug hole and put a plug back in - a new one if you have one. Open the throttle about half open with the choke off and spin it over a few times. Hopefully it start for you. Once you get it started open the fuel shutoff.

Hope this helps

MI

06-09-06, 08:36 AM   #3  
I got it running now, it wasnt getting fuel because the float bowl is to small I took the bowl off a 12.5hp briggs and put it on there and it runs like a top. Why you would sell a engine that the float sits on the bottom of the bowl is beyond me. Im going to email the place I bought it and see what they have to say about it.

IA

06-09-06, 11:36 AM   #4  
Bob

That's very odd.

Glad you got it going. Alls well that ends well.

Later

MI

06-09-06, 11:41 AM   #5  
I got another pump coming thats the exact same as this one. I hope its not the same way. Its either the wrong float or the wrong bowl on this one. I think Ill stay with B&S, they havnt let me down yet.

IA

06-09-06, 11:57 AM   #6  
Bob

Is there a clearance problem on that unit where the float bowl would have to be changed to accommodate the assembly?

The carburetor is typically a vended in item and attached as a unit. That's not to say the carb manufacturer couldn't have made a mistake.

A three inch pump is pretty good sized, what do you do with that?

Later

MI

06-09-06, 12:31 PM   #7  
the problem is the float sits on the bottom of the bowl, the bowl isnt deep enough. The bowl I stole off the 12.5 briggs is bigger and deeper so it doesnt hit the bottom.

What do I plan to do with the pump you ask.
One I plan to keep to pump water out of a pond so I can water my potatoes and watermelons, sweetcorn or whatever. The other a friend wanted to pump water out of a creek into a tank on a trailer and water his ruhbarb if it needs it.

one more thing, the place I ordered it from said to ship it back. it would cost me more to mail it back then it would for a float bowl. Then they would probably send me another with the same problem. And not pay for my shipping

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-06, 01:04 AM   #8  
If my life depended on a small engine to run, I think I'd ask it to be a honda. Excellent engines that Briggs can't compare to. I wonder what happened with the carb issue? Maybe an assembly mistake, who knows.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MI

06-10-06, 07:38 AM   #9  
If my life depended on a engine to run I think Id go with a 3.5hp verticle shaft b&s. I have 2 of those, one propane and one stock and they will fire up and run all day. I always heard good things about honda but never seen it. This is the only honda I ever had and I used a shredder once with a honda that burst into flames and ran way to rich and about 2000 rpm faster then it should. It did start right up though, Im not impressed with the cheap plastic parts on the honda.

Search this Thread