Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

6hp b&s fuel blow out carb

06-08-06, 08:29 PM   #1  
6hp b&s fuel blow out carb

I have a 6hp briggs and stratton 2 years old. It wont start and fuel puffs out the carb while some times black smoke will puff out the exhaust. The valves seem to be seeting. somtimes the cord will kick back hard enough to jerk the heck out of my hand.
Please Help!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-09-06, 01:07 AM   #2  
How much fuel is going out the carb? If it is running out, even without turning the engine over, you have carb problems. Otherwise, I would tend to think you have a sheared flywheel key.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-10-06, 07:50 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply!
The puffs of air feul mixture are pretty heavy but not a stream, just atomized. No fuel runs out the carb unless I try to start the engine. I opened the crankcase and looked around. The cam, govenour and piston are all turning with no excessive play. I would like to re-do the Timing before I go get a new carb. Do you know how I would do it? I assume there is some kind of marks I need to line up on the crank gear and cam gear while in TDC. My book does not give me the instructions on how to time. Bye the way! The grass blade was beat up really bad. (bent chipped and twisted) The wife must have hit something big and hard. I didnt see anything wrong with the key on the crank for the crank gear.

God Bless you too.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-06, 11:08 PM   #4  
Witht he bent blade, and the description of the problem, your flywheel key is sheared for sure. That's what sets the ignition timing. There shouldn't be any changes to the inside of the engine that need to be made or addressed.

God bless!

06-11-06, 01:11 PM   #5  
Yep It is sheared. But when I opened the crank case I am sure iI turned the crankshaft and messed up the timing.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-12-06, 11:18 PM   #6  
There should be a dot on the crank gear and a dot on the cam gear. Just turn them so that the dots are together side by side.

God bless!

06-14-06, 12:04 PM   #7  
Turns out the timing gear and the flywheel key were both broken. The cam gear has six dots on it but one dot is in between two circles one looks like a clock and the other has a arrow pointing to the dot in the middle. Common sense tells me this is the dot I want.

Thanks for all your help.

Search this Thread