Pull behind Aerator ?'s...

Old 06-09-06, 10:27 AM
gsr
Question Pull behind Aerator ?'s...

I'm looking to aerate my lawn (1/2 acre) and after comparing the cost to rent a walk behind from a rental place and the cost of one to pull behind the tractor I figure I come out ahead buying the pull behind for ~$150-175 after 1 or 2 uses.

How good are the $150+- pull behind aerators? If I add the 100-150lbs of weight to them to they do as well as the rental machines? Will a $150 unit hold up to once a year use for 10 years? Anything I should look for? I've seen some that you can raise up with a lever for crossing driveways, sidewalks, etc I plan on getting that option.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-06, 01:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My experience with aerators is limited, but the advice that I can give is to get a CORE aerator, not just a spike aerator. The spikes just poke a hole while compacting the soil around that hole. Compaction is what you're trying to eliminate. A croe aerator doesn't compact. It pulls a small core out of the soil, making a hole and adding a bit of loose soil at the top from the core that flips out.

Old 06-10-06, 01:16 AM
don't use the spike style because they do not aerate the way the ground SHOULD be aerated...

use a coring aerator that pulls plugs up from the ground...more messy but much better

Old 06-10-06, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
A couple of my neighbors use the pull behind core aerators and they work fine. I think they would last the time frame and usage you mentioned, but I haven't seen them in use for more than a couple years yet. I definitely like the idea up being able to pull it up to cross a driveway.

Old 06-10-06, 06:43 AM
gsr
Thanks

I saw a core aerator at Northern Tool with a lever to raise the spikes and looks pretty solid for $139 so I'll give it a try. I'd assume it will last many years but even if it makes it through two uses it will have paid for itself.