murray mower transaxel

Old 06-09-06, 03:31 PM
murray mower transaxel

I have a late 1980 murray 12 hp front engine rider. It has a 4360-12 foote five speed transaxel. the gear shifter does not work right.It hangs up in gear and I have to shut the engine off to change gear. question: should the transaxel belt pulley stop when I press the clutch/brake pedal. I have tried everything I know to get it to stop without any success. I have tried three different belts and still the pulley spins when I stop. I have taken the transaxel apart and everything looked OK except the clutch keys were nicked on the ends. I replaced the two keys with new ones. The problem still exist. Question: How smooth does the grooves in the brake shaft have to be. The bottom of the grooves are scuffed where the keys slide. Could this be part of the problem.? Thank you TINY

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-06, 12:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The belt trying to turn the tranny pulley is where the problem lies. The pulley should not be turning, or have turning force on it at all or it won't allow a shift. Is the brake working? Are your belt guides in place and properly adjusted?

Search this Thread