Ryobi 780r weedeater seized up

Old 06-10-06, 04:23 AM
Ryobi 780r weedeater seized up

Hello, I have a Ryobi 780r 31cc straight shaft weedeater that seized up on me. I am always very careful to mix the correct amount of oil to gas. I guess my question is this. Is it worth it to try and rebuild the engine, or would it be smarter to just scrap it and buy a new one? I hate to just scrap it, it is in great condition (other than the engine that is)

Is there anything I can do to try and free the engine up?

When a 2 cycle engine freezes up like this, what is typically involved in a rebuild (what parts?)?

I would appreciate advice from anyone that has some knowledge or experience with this situation. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-06, 04:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The last Time I priced a rebuild (and this was on a 4 cycle from the 70s) it was around $240+.To rebuild is to replace the crankshaft connecting rod,piston, rings and a valve job if needed.You could try and spray some good penetrating oil into the cylinder let it sit over night and use a wrench to turn the crankshaft left and right.But don't put to much money into it because IF you get the motor unsezed its days are numbered.So if you can't get it free just buy a new one there cheap.

Old 06-10-06, 01:34 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

Old 06-10-06, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by santino66
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!
Probablly would end up being cheaper finding a used or new engine like on say ebay.... that is after you tear it apart, and check the prices of what you need compared to what one would cost.

Old 06-10-06, 07:52 PM
Bob

Usually in a seized engine the barrel and piston gets scored and both have to be replaced along with the piston ring. If you have kept the oil/gas mixture in good shape the rod and crank may be ok.

Hope this helps