Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

YardMan AutoDrive transaxle noise...

06-10-06, 05:00 AM   #1  
YardMan AutoDrive transaxle noise...

I have a YardMan lawn tractor. It is about 2 years old and has 52.0 hours on it.

The AutoDrive (F,N,R with variable food pedal for speed)transaxle sounds extremely loud to me. Not a grinding, just real loud. The transaxle noise is louder than the engine noise when cutting.

Do these things require changing the lubrication? Any known problems with bearings, gears, lack of lube etc.?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-06, 11:29 PM   #2  
My best advice is to check as soon as you can to see if it's still in warranty. If so, take it in before the warranty expires. I'm starting to see these units fail already, with little use like yours. Warranty has been replacing the transaxles.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-11-06, 12:01 AM   #3  
sounds like if it had any lube in it,its not in there now..you could allso check and see if theres a recall.for your mower,for this problem.this company,that bought ouit the murray company,that might be one of there mowers,that they make.but im not sure.this new company,redid the old murray plant and opened it back up..

06-17-06, 10:38 AM   #4  
Posted By: cheese My best advice is to check as soon as you can to see if it's still in warranty. If so, take it in before the warranty expires. I'm starting to see these units fail already, with little use like yours. Warranty has been replacing the transaxles.
Thanks!

Unit is out of warranty already. Will probably wait till the end of the season and tear the thing apart... at least they have a pretty good diagram/schematic of the thing and all the parts are numbered. Another question... since all the parts are listed with parts numbers, does that mean you can order individual parts?

That's the way it goes... purchased this unit -new-, in the crate, off EBay at a extremely good price, even after you included the shipping.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-17-06, 12:13 PM   #5  
Yes, you can order individual parts. Good luck with it. Before you tear into it, check the bearings in the varidrive pulley. These often go bad abd cause a lot of whirring/grinding noise when the clutch pedal is released...in any gear or neutral.

God bless!

06-24-06, 01:12 AM   #6  

I have a feeling that there's a mistaken identity here. I would go through a process of elimination first and pin point the problem area. A niose can sound like it`s coming from one area when actually it`s coming from another.
Question: is the noise continuous? Does the sound change at any certain times, and if so, when? Is the drive speed affected by the noise? Can you feel this noise, say in the seat? How long have you been hearing this.
You said the noise is louder than the cutting. How does it cut, meaing is the grass cut clean or uneven?
Do you hear it only when the blades are engaged? If so, check for a loose blade or worn spindle bearings. these make a lot of noise when worn.
Remove the 2 screws holding down the cover plate, (between the seat and dash) and check the variable speed pulley, idle pulley(s) and see if any of them are worn or loose. This is called troubleshooting. If you can come back with a few these answers I`m sure we can save you a lot of time, money and frustration, it would really help us and we`re here to help you.
Mike

06-24-06, 02:49 AM   #7  
I have a similar mower with the same drive system and mine makes the same noise. It starts as soon as the pedal is depressed, and changes pitch slightly as the pressure is increased. Blade engagement does not affect it in any way. It almost reminds me of the sound straight cut gear transmissions make. I thoroughly inspected my system and could not find anything that would indicate a problem. Putting the mower up on jackstands, and using a stethoscope, I found the noise was not from the rear on my machine. It was centered near the Varidrive pulley. Could not find any problems with that unit either. Bearing was good and the sheave slid properly and smoothly.

I went out and tested a couple of new mowers made by MTD with the same drive system. They all make the same noise to some extent. The major differences seem to be the different engine sounds and the configuration of the hoods. I feel it is an inherent sound with that system. While that does not give your machine a clean bill of health, it is something to consider. If your machine's Varidrive pulley checks out fine and the transmission is quiet, I would resist the urge to disassemble the transmission.

As far as manufacturer goes, Murray [ Recently acquired by Briggs and Stratton.] does not make YardMan, MTD does. The transmissions are probably made by a different company altogether. Checking for recalls is always a good idea. It looks like MTD has completely scrubbed it's website clean of recall information, so I suggest contacting one of their full service warrenty/repair dealers.

06-24-06, 11:38 PM   #8  
From what i`m reading, JLO may be right, It could be that now that the drive belt is stretch out a little it leaves some play in the idler arm and with a spring connected to it makes a metal to metal sound. Pressing and releasing the clutch moves the idler arm back and forth. This is normal.
JLO is also right about the Manufacturers, Yardman, Yard machine,
Cub Cadet, White, Signature, Lawn Flight, Dayton, Wizard and now Ryobi are all products of MTD. Also, all Montgomery Ward products with the model # starting with TMO are manufactured by MTD.
Generac and Murray was just recently purchased by Briggs and Stratton. John Deere now owns Homelite. Most Craftsman 2cycle equipment is manufactured by Poulan.
Just an update for those that were`nt aware, I know a lot of the member already were.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-25-06, 12:23 AM   #9  
JLO, the noise you're describing is typical of those mowers. On some, the noise gets very loud (I think this is the case here since the noise is even louder than the mowing deck). I have seen this happen right around the time the warranty expires, to a year or two afterwards...to give an idea of how long it takes to begin hearing this noise at an abnormal level. The noise is so loud that it overpowers the engine and blades...you can hear the tranny from 100 yds away. From the description of the problem, I think that's the case here.

God bless!

06-25-06, 05:20 AM   #10  
Yes, the noise can be heard over the sound of the engine and mower deck on mine also. Actually I get a better sense of where the noise is coming from with hearing protectors on. My TroyBilt's [also MTD] engine and blades are relatively quiet so the noise is easier to pick out than on some of the other brands.

MTD also manufactures Bolens and Husky/Husky Supreme.

Craftsman's tractors are made by AYP, makers of Huskvarna, Roper, Poulan [2 and 4 cycle equipment.] among others.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-26-06, 01:53 AM   #11  
JLO...I don't know how long these mowers last with the tranny making this noise. If yours does ever get to the point of needing repair, (and I hope it doesn't) I'd like to find out what exactly failed if you don't mind posting about it. I'm still not sure we're talking about the same noise though. The noise I'm talking about can't be mistaken for a normal sound. It's obvious that something is grating/coming apart. The worst one I heard was so bad I could actually feel the vibration/grinding sensation in the seat while I rode on it. It made the whole mower resonate and holding the steering wheel was kind of like holding onto a palm sander, just not quite as bad. If I recall correctly, the tranny eventually began to bind and jump, kind of like a tooth/teeth was missing. I never opened it up to see what happened.

God bless!

06-26-06, 02:38 AM   #12  
Yes, I will post it if it happens but there is no grating sound or vibration in my machine. We may not be chasing the same sound. Just one of the downfalls of trying to diagnose noises on the internet.

05-31-09, 08:40 PM   #13  
Loud Banging sound from Transaxle

I was given a White LT1500 lawn tractor. It has a single speed MTD tranaxle (618-0307c) and goes perfect in reverse, but if you put it in forward and press the "gas pedal"... it hesitates and jumps while making a banging sound (like hitting a vice the a hammer -LOUD). I opened the tranny thinking I would see some missing teeth on the forward gears, but to my surprise... all looked good - other than being a little sharp on the edges (like a used timing chaing sprocket off a car),.. nothing was scarred, bent or damaged!?!?!?
All the belts are good.
I reassembled everything and it continues to do the same thing.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by ronzara; 05-31-09 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling

06-26-09, 06:31 AM   #14  
MTD yardman transaxle noise

My MTD yardman 42" cut, automatic, 19 HP Kohler is now 3 years old. Last year the trans started roaring. The noise got louder the faster I accelerated. The transaxle has finally give out forward gear, I still have reverse though. I removed the trans and disassembled it only to find no gear oil, and no broken parts. I reassembled and lubed, but still no forward gear. Any suggestions?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-27-09, 02:33 AM   #15  
Something is broken or worn out if it has no fwd and is shifting into fwd. Does the input shaft have a lot of play in it?

God bless!

07-08-09, 12:46 PM   #16  
If I hold the forward selector in place and force it down, it will move forward under it's own power.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-09-09, 12:18 AM   #17  
Look at the tranny and see if the shifter is actually shifting the tranny into fwd or not. It could be that the shifter is just bent and can't move far enough in the slot to get it fully into fwd.

God bless!

VT

10-05-10, 02:57 AM   #18  
Having exactly the same problem with mine does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is.

Cheers

Steven

MO

10-05-10, 09:07 AM   #19  
Posted By: stevepet Having exactly the same problem with mine does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is.

Cheers

Steven
Post the manufacturer and model number for the transaxle and someone will help you. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-05-10, 11:46 PM   #20  
This thread started a few years back. Since then I have seen LOTS of these fail. The trannys are built so poorly that they just don't hold together. I tried rebuilding them with success initially, but in a years' time they were whining again, ready to break. I'd say put a new one in or better yet, use it 'till it quits and get another mower. (sorry to say)

God bless!

VT

10-06-10, 02:40 AM   #21  
It is a yardman model 604. Does anyone know what part actually fails.

MO

10-06-10, 09:55 AM   #22  
Posted By: stevepet It is a yardman model 604. Does anyone know what part actually fails.
I can't find the transaxle for that mower, if it was a Peerless the problem can be the sleeve between the pump and transaxle, when the rod is set so the mower can be rolled the sleeve slides to the side to disengage the pump and axle when re-engaged if not engaged all the way it will start to grind away the inside of the sleeve a little at a time until all the splines are gone, you will not see it without disassembly. Have a good one. Geo
The good side of the sleeve:

The bad side of the sleeve which ground away:

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-06-10, 10:44 AM   #23  
My reply is assuming you have the tranny that is the topic of this thread (MTD varidrive). The older ones are pretty well built and rarely give trouble, bu the newer ones are terrible. Unfortunately and in character for MTD, they changed the tranny and the mower enough that the old ones won't work and the internal parts won't interchange between the old and new (already tried, trying to find a solution to this problem).

God bless!

CAL

02-05-12, 11:39 PM   #24  
Hi Guys,
New member and sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm working on one of these Yard-Man 604's and was wondering if any of you had had more info on what causes the noise.

Just hammered out a long thread, tried to attach a couple photos and it locked the screen on the site. Lost everything even though I kept getting these "auto saved" notifications popping up while typing.

Anyway....took mine apart today. Barely any grease inside and that's how it was built. The diff is pretty loose inside and very low on any sort of grease, since it's an enclosed housing so it can't continually scoop grease from rest of the trans as the other gears are pushing it around. Very poor design.

No damage anywhere, and everything looked good, especially considering the noise this thing makes. Doesn't vibrate the tractor as some of you posted, but it is louder than the engine with a pulsing whirrrRRRrrrr that sounds like the gear drive on a big V-8 with a blower or gear driven cam.

One thing I noticed, and tested; the countershaft engages the diff crown wheel with straight cut teeth. That'll make all kinds of noise, and sure enough, with just the countersaft by itself, and the diff there, they clack together loudly when spun.

I have an idea of what makes the noise.....let me know what you think: I found the pushing on the end of the countershaft, by the diff gear, had quite a bit of play. I also found quite a bit of play in the bushings between the axles and the diff housing. My theory is that as the diff bushings wear out, the diff "drops" a little out of alignment with the countershaft. Likewise, as that one bushing on the countershaft wears out, the countershaft is allowed to "drop" and/or change it's position slightly. Because they are both (diff and c-shaft) are now out of alignment with each other, their straight cut gears make even more noise as they collide.

I repacked the diff with grease and Bentonite, put it back in the tractor and there's no change in the sound. Not sure I want to spend $450 on a new transaxle or close to $300 to buy a new diff assembly, an new countershaft, and new F and R gears, and clutch hub. There are uprated versions for the later C generation of my B generation trans. Looks like they use wider gears on the countershaft and diff, so maybe that helps with the noise.

Below is a parts blow up, and a photo of mine when I first opened it up. "Where's the grease!"

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-06-12, 09:42 AM   #25  
On the ones I repaired, the F&R gears were the problem. They get to where they lean on the shaft and walk away from the input pinion gear. The bushings on that shaft also wear out.

God bless!

Search this Thread