craftsman 6.75 hp B&S engine stops running

Old 06-10-06, 10:57 AM
jfd
craftsman 6.75 hp B&S engine stops running

Model #917.378870

engine #125k02-0317

Just new last year, ran great then. No trouble whatsoever.

Yes now that I read around here the gas was old. But at the beginning of this season,( I live in the south so its been a few months now,) there was no problem. The last few times I mowed, it would run for a while and then stop. Now it acts like it will start for about 3seconds, than stops. I smell alot of gas. I replaced the spark plug and the air filter.

I am totally a novice but willing to do as much as I can to fix the problem myself. Really cant afford to take the mower somewhere as I am a one parent family.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-06, 07:19 PM
For the gas smell..... its not leaking nowhere is it? The old air filter wasn't soaked with gas?

Smell the oil for gas just in case on that.

As for running for 3 seconds, make sure gas is getting to the carb, take the fuel line off at the carb and let it go real quick and watch for a nice easy flow. If thats good..... see if it'll keep running with a little starting fluid or gas down the carb, if it does and quits when you stop, either water or trash in the carb..... take the carb off, tear it apart and blow it out good with carb cleaner and compressed air if you have it through any and all holes you see a couple times. How are you storing the mower?

Old 06-11-06, 11:00 AM
jfd
Thank you I will try this, I keep the mower on the back porch, probably not the best place given the humidity.

I meant I am a complete amateur not a novice by the way. I have no idea about engines and am learning as I go.

By the way, if I continually push the primer bulb the mower stays running longer.

Last edited by jfd; 06-11-06 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-12-06, 11:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The primer bulb detail tells us a bit. Remove the bolt that holds the bowl on. There are tiny holes in this bolt. 2 oppose each other near the bolt head, one goes down the center, and a tiny one is near the end in the unthreaded section of the bolt. This one can be hard to see. Unclog these holes and clean out the bowl. See where that gets you.

Old 06-14-06, 09:13 AM
jfd
Thankyou! I did that but still runs but wont stay running. How hard is it to take off the carburator?

Old 06-14-06, 07:46 PM
jfd
Okay, so I took the carb off and it was ridiculously clean but I cleaned it anyway.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Old 06-15-06, 07:21 PM
jfd
I did it!!

Thank you all for your help, I did everything suggested and now have a running lawn mower!! I am so thankful!!

Old 06-17-06, 01:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad you got it fixed!

Old 06-19-06, 05:55 AM
Ham
Originally Posted by cheese
The primer bulb detail tells us a bit. Remove the bolt that holds the bowl on. There are tiny holes in this bolt. 2 oppose each other near the bolt head, one goes down the center, and a tiny one is near the end in the unthreaded section of the bolt. This one can be hard to see. Unclog these holes and clean out the bowl. See where that gets you.
Do the Tecumseh carbs have the same setup? Mine will prime but will not stay running.

Old 06-20-06, 01:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Should be the same thing...probably the tiny hole at the end of the bolt that's hard to see...especially when clogged.

Old 06-20-06, 03:07 PM
6.0 hp tecumseh

I have a craftsman 6.0hp tecumseh mower. It doesn't start unless i spray starter fluid into the carb. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks
JP

Old 06-21-06, 01:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Same thing...clean the carb and the holes in the bolt.

Old 06-21-06, 12:42 PM
bolt holes are clean. it seems that the carb doesn't get gas. The spark plug is bone dry. Any other suggestions?
JP

Old 06-23-06, 11:29 PM
I take it that this is a B/S Intek OHV. Remove the air filter and backing plate to expose the front of the Carb, looking in the carburetor you`ll see 2-3 small bleeder holes, use WD40 and spray through these holes and watch inside the throat of the carb, spray into the holes until you see fluid come up through the brass tube inside the carb, before starting the mower the backing plate (with the primer) needs to be reinstalled.
Mike