Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Boy Starting Prolem

06-10-06, 04:04 PM   #1  
Lawn Boy Starting Prolem

I have a Lawn Boy model 10323, serial number 8939395 circa 1998. I have loved Lawn Boy mowers since the the 60's when I worked for a landscaper. Last spring it gave me a problem, it would try to start, cough or backfire and die. I had it looked at by an "old timer" and he fixed it, a new spark plug and he said he adjusted the magneto gap. Today, the mower started just fine, ran for about 45 seconds, backfired twice and died. I cleaned the air filter, checked and cleaned the sparke plug, even changed out the gas . It still will only attempt to start, it wll sputter like they all do before it accelerates..........but no joy. I am very handy at cars and trucks, but have done very little small engine stuff.....if the magneto gap has gone off again, how do I adjust it.

Sponsored Links

IN

06-10-06, 05:29 PM   #2  
Posted By: williamj451 Today, the mower started just fine, ran for about 45 seconds, backfired twice and died. I cleaned the air filter, checked and cleaned the sparke plug, even changed out the gas . It still will only attempt to start, it wll sputter like they all do before it accelerates..........but no joy. I am very handy at cars and trucks, but have done very little small engine stuff.....if the magneto gap has gone off again, how do I adjust it.
You can adjust the magneto gap by placing two business cards into the space between the flywheel and the magneto. Then you can rotate the flywheel until the magnet grabs the magneto and pulls it tight against the cards. Then you can tighten the bolts on the magneto and when you're done you can rotate the magnet away from the magneto and remove the cards. You may also want to check the flywheel key and make sure it didn't get sheared for some reason.

Christopher

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-10-06, 11:21 PM   #3  
Two business cards is too much. The gap should be .010", or close to the thickness of one business card.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-10-06, 11:47 PM   #4  
some of those old mowers,that magetio would get rusty,and you would have to sand it a little..so it would work..or it wouldnt fire.i had one sears mower,years ago,after it set.all winter,you had to take the carb off and apart and clean all the little holes.the mental.would form little barnicles,,and clog everything up.it wouldnt run..the one bussiness card will do the trick..you got to have just that thing gap.where they dont touch

Search this Thread