Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing starter

06-11-06, 10:10 AM   #1  
Removing starter

16 HP OHV Briggs engine. I am asking before I start taking stuff off that doesn't need to be removed. I cannot see any bolts that hold it on. There is a guard around the top of the starter with one or two bolts/screws that hold it on and block the view. Thanks in advance for any info.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

06-11-06, 09:15 PM   #2  
The guard covers the starter right? If so remove the guard. the guard either holds the starter on or covers the bolts that hold it on.Starters are ALWAYS held on by bolts how else would they stay on.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-12-06, 10:59 PM   #3  
Hello Majak!

You'll need to remove the engine shroud from the top of the engine. Also, remove the sheet metal piece that covers the head on the side that the starter is on (left side). You can remove the flywheel at this point, but it is unnecessary. Removal of the flywheel will make starter removal a bit easier, but probably not enough to rate the extra work involved in pulling the flywheel. Under the flywheel, you will see the two 1/2" bolt heads that hold the starter on. With an open end wrench you can loosen these bolts and pull the starter out. Before you put the starter back in, drop a bolt in the hole on the starter that's farthest under the flywheel because you can't put a bolt in it once it's under there.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread