Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mower starter rope/recoil assembly (?) repair

06-11-06, 01:40 PM   #1  
Mower starter rope/recoil assembly (?) repair

Hi there~

I have a several-year-old Yard Pro 5.0, model number YP5HY22CA. It has a Honda engine, with GXV 140-135 and GJAB-7030258 stamped on the side. It is a hand-me-down, so I have no books or manuals.

The starter rope just broke. The plastic cover to the mower (covering just the top) was connected with just one screw. The recoil assembly (I'm not sure if that's the right word—it's the spinny bit that the starter rope wraps around) was only attached with three bolts to the top of the machine. I took it off, rethreaded it with a length of rope, and reattached it to the machine. But when I pulled the rope to try and start it, the assembly didn't rewind the rope—it just sat there and mocked me. Now what?

The thing is, we actually inherited two machines in our move out to the country. The other machine is a Murray (model #20415X8D), but it too came with a broken starter cord, but that took me all of ten minutes to fix. I did the same thing—I took off the cover and the recoil/spinny bit, threaded a new piece of rope into the bottom, wound up the extra rope, reattached it to the machine, and voila, it worked. Well, the mower didn't, which is why after doing that I turned to the Yard Pro to see if I could get that started. But unlike the Murray, once the assembly is back on the machine it won't automatically retract the rope. Any thoughts as to what I'm missing? (Um, besides my marbles, that is).

Thanks,

Rhythm

Sponsored Links

IN

06-11-06, 03:27 PM   #2  
Posted By: Rhythmdvl Hi there~

I have a several-year-old Yard Pro 5.0, model number YP5HY22CA. It has a Honda engine, with GXV 140-135 and GJAB-7030258 stamped on the side. It is a hand-me-down, so I have no books or manuals.

The starter rope just broke. The plastic cover to the mower (covering just the top) was connected with just one screw. The recoil assembly (I'm not sure if that's the right word—it's the spinny bit that the starter rope wraps around) was only attached with three bolts to the top of the machine. I took it off, rethreaded it with a length of rope, and reattached it to the machine. But when I pulled the rope to try and start it, the assembly didn't rewind the rope—it just sat there and mocked me. Now what?

Thanks,

Rhythm
Disassemble the recoil assembly and see what it's using for a spring. Something has to wind up when you pull the rope out to start it and "recoil" back to rewind the rope. I'm wondering if the spring got broken or disconnected accidently.

Christopher

Last edited by ChristopherT; 06-11-06 at 03:38 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-12-06, 11:12 PM   #3  
Did you wind up the spool before you tied on the rope? (and let it wind the new rope up by itself?)

If you take it apart, be careful and wear safety glasses. The spring can come flying out of there like a burning cat . It can also be hard to put back in place.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-13-06, 12:32 PM   #4  
Thanks for the replies!

I'd done a search on "recoil" and a few other words (actually, I'm not sure what I searched for first—it was during that process that I found the term "recoil assembly") and rather hoped that it wouldn't come to this.

Why? Well, nothings come apart yet, and the Murray mower's assembly went off without a hitch. What, that's not proof that things should be easy? Darn. But... but... but nothings come apart. Well, except for the assembly (hoo-boy, do I hope I'm using the right word. This would confuse things quite a bit if I was wrong), that is—the spinny bit that holds the rope and is attached with three bolts. Flipping it over, there is no screw or other attachment holding the plastic pulley to the metal frame. And it turns relatively freely, with nary a bit of resistance in either direction (CW or CCW), except that the prongs come out to turn the engine when it spins CCW.

So, though I haven't taken the pulley off yet (and don't see how just yet), is it possible that the spring snapped inside? Is it possible that the spring is sprung and can be reattached somehow without complete disassembly of the part? If things go poorly, could anyone point to a site on the net that would sell a replacement?

Thanks again,

Rhythm

IN

06-13-06, 05:15 PM   #5  
Posted By: Rhythmdvl Thanks for the replies!

So, though I haven't taken the pulley off yet (and don't see how just yet), is it possible that the spring snapped inside? Is it possible that the spring is sprung and can be reattached somehow without complete disassembly of the part? If things go poorly, could anyone point to a site on the net that would sell a replacement?

Thanks again,

Rhythm
It's certainly possible that the spring snapped inside and I've seen cases where the spring was detached from it's clip, but in all those cases the recoil assembly had to be disassembled to repair it. Before you bought one on the internet, you might find it less expensive to call around to a few local lawnmower repair places and see what they would charge you to repair the spring.

Christopher

05-20-09, 12:36 AM   #6  
Wind it up counter clock wise 3-4 full circles then line the holes up & use vice grips to keep it from unwinding. feed the string through the hole & knot it, release the vice grip & let it quickly retract the pull cord then tighten all 3 bolts & then your done.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-09, 12:39 AM   #7  
Dude, this one's 3 years old. Are you pulling these posts from the archives to reply to them? (more than one now).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread