Help

Old 06-12-06, 10:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help

OK I have a ARIENS 5HP 21Inch self propelled mower.
Model 911044 serial 002293. now the air filter was brand new when I installed it After a few failed trys to get to stay running I removed the airfilter cover to spray starting fluid into it and half the filter was black And oil was leaking out of the airfilter compartment.The engine has good compression 145 PSI.What is the cause and were do I start to look.When I did get it to stay it was EXTREMLY smokey from burning oil.So were do I start to look. heres a picture of the mower and the oil filter compartment and the filter itself. And Yes I loosend the gas cap not helping I got it stay running by removing the filter cover and the filter and spraying starting fluid and primeing a lot it finaly stayed.

Old 06-12-06, 01:18 PM
OK heres what I did just now.
Removed the cylinder head and cleaned it with a wire bush atachment on my drill. Also cleaned the piston and the valves. Put everything back on replaced with a sparkplug that goes to a chainsaw cause they fire in oil. Primed it and it started up on the 3rd pull. Stayed running this time and was still smoking. Not as much but was still smoking and enough to smoke up the backyard. So will someone please tell me how to fix this thing. The head gasket is fine its still in one peace. so what is the problem here.

Last edited by cheese; 06-12-06 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 06:01 PM
The breather might be faulty.

Old 06-12-06, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by v8driver
Where is that I did not see one on this unit.

Old 06-13-06, 07:01 AM
No good. I removed it ran it with it removed from the filter and ran it sprayed carb cleaner in it re-connected it. No good still smokes. So How do I check to see if the pistion or the valves are the problem.The smoke is blue and the longer it runs the worse it gets.

Old 06-13-06, 08:20 AM
Ok I ran it untill the smoke got thicker and than removed the cylinder head and there was a little bit of oil in front of the pistion and the pistion and inside of the cylender head were greasy so i cleaned them. Also the airfilter is no longer getting filled with oil.So does this mean the pistion rings are bad.If so how hard is it to take apart the engine and replace?

Old 06-13-06, 11:38 AM
WELL......Since no one else wants to reply I will sell the thing.I got advice from my parts guy since no one else here knows or does not care to help me fix the problem.

Old 06-13-06, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
WELL......Since no one else wants to reply I will sell the thing.I got advice from my parts guy since no one else here knows or does not care to help me fix the problem.
Replace the engine..... if the decks good, a used good engine will do.
For piston rings, take the engine off, blade adapter off, unbolt the sump, pop it a couple times to release it, unbolt the connecting rod cap and slide the piston and all out the top of the cylinder. Its not that hard but with what? tecumseh? I wouldn't mess with a tecumseh. Just don't like em.

Old 06-13-06, 06:20 PM
Replace the engine..... if the decks good, a used good engine will do.
For piston rings, take the engine off, blade adapter off, unbolt the sump, pop it a couple times to release it, unbolt the connecting rod cap and slide the piston and all out the top of the cylinder. Its not that hard but with what? tecumseh? I wouldn't mess with a tecumseh. Just don't like em.
OK whats the sump I've never done this before.

Old 06-13-06, 07:48 PM
M
Lexmark, I think purchasing a small engine repair book would help you a lot. I admire your desire to learn and being familiar with names of various engine parts would really accelerate your learning process. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here more than willing to help. Speaking for myself, I'd like to learn a lot more about computers so I try to self educate myself about them so I can ask questions and know what the answers are referring to. I hope you take this not as criticism but as a way to learn more about small engines.
Mike

Old 06-13-06, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by mla2ofus
Lexmark, I think purchasing a small engine repair book would help you a lot. I admire your desire to learn and being familiar with names of various engine parts would really accelerate your learning process. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here more than willing to help. Speaking for myself, I'd like to learn a lot more about computers so I try to self educate myself about them so I can ask questions and know what the answers are referring to. I hope you take this not as criticism but as a way to learn more about small engines.
Mike
Yeah your right. I talked to my parts guy he said the sump is the oil pan. thats what tecumseh calls a oil pan.It sound like I could replace the rings I just need a ring compresser.

update got a reply from my parts guy this it what he said

Yes you would need a ring compressor. Also would need a new oil pan gasket and lower oil seal. You will also need to take a look at the cylinder wall. If it looks good you will need to hone it out. You will need to buy a hone that attaches to a drill if you don't already have one. The when you go to put the rod back in you will need to find out what the rod bolts are supposed to be torqued at. too tight and the engine wont turn over. too loose you could throw the rod after awhile.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 06-13-06 at 10:33 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-14-06, 02:32 PM
There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here more than willing to help
Then why don't they I come here looking for help to a problem and the only one who responded was V8driver It makes me think That They don't like me and ignore me so I have to spend money that I don't want to.I thank you for you post mla2ofus and v8 but since no one heres knows how to fix small engines I give up.

Old 06-14-06, 03:40 PM
Lex,

The people on this forum are not sitting around waiting for your posts 24/7. Unfortunately, we can't always spend time to answer when we would like. Some of us may have to leave for work or school. You will have to be more patient and not go off mad when you don't get an answer in 20 minutes. If no one here could help you, why would you have over 300 posts here? From what I have read in some of your other posts, you get these machines for free from the curbside. If you have nothing invested in the original machine, why would you need to rush off and spend money on them within the first 24 hours you had the machine? Slow down and be polite and you might get better results.

JLOpower

Old 06-14-06, 04:07 PM
what do you expect I get depressed real easy more than one time thoughts of ending it all have crossed my mind just view the post wrong wire used when the post said im about ready to cry I was thinking of ending it all

Originally Posted by JLOpower
Lex,

The people on this forum are not sitting around waiting for your posts 24/7. Unfortunately, we can't always spend time to answer when we would like. Some of us may have to leave for work or school. You will have to be more patient and not go off mad when you don't get an answer in 20 minutes. If no one here could help you, why would you have over 300 posts here? From what I have read in some of your other posts, you get these machines for free from the curbside. If you have nothing invested in the original machine, why would you need to rush off and spend money on them within the first 24 hours you had the machine? Slow down and be polite and you might get better results.

JLOpower

Old 06-14-06, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with JLOpower. Lex, you come in here like you are the only person that we have to help. If you were doing the repairs for yourself, that would be one thing. BUT, you are selling these mowers. Excuse me for being a little miffed, but you can WAIT IN LINE. This is not your personal website.

Old 06-14-06, 06:39 PM
I won't even attempt to address your statements as far as your frustration and depression goes, except to say that a used lawnmower is not that important.

If learning to repair lawnmowers causes you that much distress, I hope you can find something that is more enjoyable.

One thing that you could try is finding someone local to help you face to face. Often misunderstandings get started on the internet because one person can't exactly interpret what others are trying to say. It just loses something in translation. A good teacher makes a good student.

Old 06-15-06, 03:51 AM
Just close this thread Im going to repost it under a new title and Im going to try to nicer about it sorry jsut some times I want this thing to run and I don't like waiting a week for one response

Last edited by lexmarks567; 06-15-06 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-17-06, 02:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Geez man, you're getting more than you pay for right? It's a free site...and we VOLUNTEER our time here to help people like yourself. We don't get paid to be here to wait on you every waking hour. Look at all the help you've already recieved from good people who are willing to take time out of their busy lives to answer questions just for you. If we can't give you free advice fast enough, I'm sorry but we'll get to it when we can. I saw no need to reply to this thread before now, as the others who answered provided sufficient information for you to work with.

Ending it all over an old push mower found in a trash pile?? Come on now, there's a lot more to life than that. I know things can be stressful at times, but you can't fixate on petty obstacles you come across every day. If you do, it will drive you insane. Calm down, take a prozac, or whatever. Life's good...and too short to stress over little details.

Last edited by cheese; 06-17-06 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-17-06, 05:20 AM
You got your wish. It's closed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: