Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Belt Problem

GA

06-12-06, 08:50 PM   #1  
Honda Belt Problem

Honda Harmony II HRT216SDA
Rear Wheel Drive

The belt on the self propelled mower keeps coming off (and cut by the mower). Have put on two new belts. Happened to both belts. Both pulleys look ok. Any suggestions on how to diagnose what is causing the belt to come off?

thanks,

Robert

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-12-06, 10:14 PM   #2  
Most likely the pulley alignment is off. Usually the tranny pulley gets tilted towards the engine puley, allowing the belt to ride off of it. The fix can be a number of things. It could be something bent, loose, or the input shaft bushing of the tranny worn. Check and post what you find.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

GA

06-13-06, 01:39 PM   #3  
Stopper Kit

Thanks for the info.

I went to my Honda dealer today to get a new belt. I also took the Tensioner Bolt, spring, nut and washers. He was familiar with the problem. It turns out that there is a Service Bulletin (PTB 52998A – Lawn Mower #49) on this problem. It affects the HRS, HRR and HRT 216SDA models.

The problem is that the tranny pivots forward excessively when the clutch is engaged causing the belt to slip off.

Honda has a $15 “stopper kit” 06915-VG4-305 that includes a stopper collar (a new part) and three washers.

The three washers are installed next to the tensioner bolt head on the outside of the mower deck and replace the one washer that came with the mower. The stopper collar goes between the lock nut washer and the tensioner spring. All of this is supposed to keep the tranny from pivoting too much.

I’ve ordered the part and will let you know if it works.

Again Thanks.

GA

06-18-06, 04:50 AM   #4  
Problem fixed

Problem Fixed. I installed the new stop collar, mowed for an hour and so far the belt has stayed on. Here’s what I learned. The stop collar is about 2 inches long, with an inside diameter just large enough to fit over the tensioning bolt and outside diameter small enough to fit inside the tensioning spring. The three washers are just standard washers. You can order the stop collar by itself part # 91554-VGA-305 and maybe save some money.

Install in the following order:
Put on new belt. Be sure to use a Honda belt.
Bolt Head
Three Washers
Thru hole in mower deck
Thru bracket of tranny
Washer
Spring
Stop collar
Washer
Nylon Nut.

Tighten nylon nut until it is tight. This will compress the spring against the tranny bracket. This will also put some tension on the belt.

Hope that this helps.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-19-06, 01:09 AM   #5  
Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for the detailed post with the results!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread