Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gas In Aluminum Bottle

06-15-06, 10:42 PM   #1  
Gas In Aluminum Bottle

I have this Aluminum bottle that is normally used for drinking water purposes. But because its Aluminum, means it should not be eaten up by gas right? I am going to buy a scooter soon and I want to carry a bottle of mixed gas so that way when my tank is dry, I can refill it to get back home. Am I correct in thinking that mixed gas will not eat through the Aluminum bottle?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

06-16-06, 05:30 AM   #2  
Well, I can tell you that there are plenty of airplanes flying around with wet-wing fuel cells that have no problems. Now, whether it's a good idea to do what you are proposing is another matter.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

06-16-06, 07:44 AM   #3  
Thanks...

Well, there is just no storage space on these scooters, so how am I supposed to carry a 1-gallon gas can? However, I could easily buy a drink holder thing and attach it to the handle bar shaft and then I can put the bottle right in that! Wala, problem solved!

PA

06-16-06, 08:30 AM   #4  
Chris, can you label it "GAS" so it doesn't get grabbed by a friend thinking it's water? Other than that it should work well.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

06-16-06, 08:41 AM   #5  
Also remember the expansion factor in the heat. Be careful when in open it so you don't get a bath.

Super Moderator

CANADA

06-16-06, 09:58 AM   #6  
I'll add to goldstar's comments and say you have to be carefull of pressure build up.
Gasoline uses a high vapor pressure gas as an octane improver which is usually butane. This is what you see wafting from a freshly poured container.

I would suggest that a water bottle would not be so good to use.
The lid if not aluminum and o-ring/gasket may also not be gas rated.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

06-16-06, 10:27 AM   #7  
gas cans...

Check a camping store - they make water bottle sized bottles designed to carry white gas - not sure if they'll work on automotive style gas or not it should say on the can - they are red aluminum bottles with a plastic (?) screw on cap and o-ring. Whatever you'd use I'd make sure it is well labeled.

Watch the gas gauge (if it has one) or check the tank periodically and you won't have to worry about running out.

06-16-06, 01:17 PM   #8  
Thanks for the advice guys...

What I have is a red Aluminum bottle that has a plastic pull up/push down drinking cap and it does have a rubber gasket inside the cap. I believe this to be a self venting cap, if this is so, there should not be any pressure buildup. Problem is, I can't find what I need anywhere accept for what I already have.

Nope, it does not have a fuel guage and it gets 35 miles per tank fill. So thats why I want to use this Aluminum bottle so that way when I go to a different town, I am able to get back!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-17-06, 01:37 AM   #9  
How about just taking a small bottle of 2-stroke oil and stop at a station when you need fuel?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

06-17-06, 05:28 AM   #10  
I was thinking just like Cheese. Figure out exactly how much oil you need per tank and carry just the oil.

Non-US

06-17-06, 07:42 AM   #11  
Is this an old scooter? Most of these I see now are oil injected & do not require mixed fuel. Also most will go further than 35 miles per tank.

06-17-06, 09:57 AM   #12  
This is a mini scooter guys not one of them big scooters that go 50 to 70 MPH. Here is the link so you know what I am talking about...

http://www.forsalechoices.com/Gas-Scooters-GS_460.htm

Cheese, I just might do that. I could take a used quart of 2-cycle oil and put the required amount of oil in it and then put gas in it. Sounds like a plan...

06-17-06, 07:18 PM   #13  
Posted By: Terminator20 This is a mini scooter guys not one of them big scooters that go 50 to 70 MPH. Here is the link so you know what I am talking about...

http://www.forsalechoices.com/Gas-Scooters-GS_460.htm

Cheese, I just might do that. I could take a used quart of 2-cycle oil and put the required amount of oil in it and then put gas in it. Sounds like a plan...
I think cheese meant just the oil... take what oil you need with you, fill the engine up with gas and dump the oil in with it?

Search this Thread