McCulloch chainsaw won't spark

Old 06-20-06, 05:57 AM
McCulloch chainsaw won't spark

McCulloch 18" chainsaw, model MS1839AVCC, actually manufactured by MTD. Ran great for 18 months, died one afternoon and wouldn't start again.

Tested for spark by holding the plug against the engine and cranking, and got no spark. Tested by holding it with my fingers and cranking, and got no jolt.

Replaced the spark plug, properly gapped. Replaced fuel with fresh gas, replaced fuel filter, air filter sponge. Won't start.

Fuel is flowing. Plug is wet. No spark, so it won't start.

Replaced the ignition assembly with exact same part direct from MTD (Part # MC-9288-310501). No spark, no jolt.

Is there something else to try? Is the gap between rotor and ignition assembly some high number (I put the new one in with a gap of .010")?

I removed the kill switch wire to see if that was causing this, and it makes no difference either way.

I should be getting a spark at this point.

What else?

Thanks,

Antifa

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-06, 08:07 PM
Bob

Antifa:

Your magneto gap is fine at .010. With your kill switch wire removed and a new coil you should definitely get a spark if you have the plug adequately grounded.

Although holding the plug isn't the suggested method for determining spark, since you have the courage..... you would have to be grounded to the engine to get "jolted" by holding the plug and pulling on the starter rope.

Hope this helps

Old 06-21-06, 02:53 AM
You likely have a bare kill wire. Whenever you suspect that it is kill switch related (and I do), you need to remove both kill wires AT the ignition coil, not at the switch and then test for spark.

Old 06-21-06, 07:01 AM
Thank you!

I removed the kill switch wire entirely, and got spark immediately.

Saw started on the third pull.

Cannot recommend holding on to the spark plug while cranking. Even one turn of the magneto gives a big kick up the arm thatttttmmmmmaaakkkes tyyyppppiiinngggg hard and four letter words easy.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Antifa

Old 06-22-06, 03:55 PM
Bob

Success!!! It don't come easy.

Hope you don't have arrhythmia.

Take care

Old 08-09-12, 02:18 AM
Antifa

I know that you posted this quite a while ago but I noticed that you said that you had bought a replacement ignition assembly. I was wondering if you still had the extra one. I have a perfectly good saw but the part is virtually non-existent now. I have tried all of the solutions that were posted with your problem but it comes back to the ignition assembly. I have also tried to find a used one with no luck. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would discontinue making parts for this saw.

If you have an extra ignition assembly or know where I could get one it would be greatly appreciated. The Part Number is MC-9288-310501 and the number on the coil itself is 200408A. An answer one way or the other would be greatly appreciated.

Carter H.

Old 08-09-12, 06:27 AM
You may try e-bay. A lot of outdoor equiptment gets sold on there.
Good luck.