Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S 4HP Quattro mdl 10A902 - engine fluctuating

OK

06-23-08, 07:15 PM   #41  
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how, but anyways. It is a BRAND new carb and the dia. I bought and installed it last friday. The tank has been drained once before,like a week ago. Since then i poured in some engine tune up/carb cleaner into the gas tank,but i've ran 2-3 tanks though it. I just checked the flywheel key and it was fine. It has compresson,spark,gas. But it sounds like it gets some gas, revs up,then it sounds like it is free wheeling back down until right before it dies it fires again. I've taken the block off and clean the piston. The crankshaft isnt bent, Its not smoking as bad now cause i cleaned all the excess oil. It sounds like it isn't getting fuel, but i have no way of really testing that. But thank you, ya i've taken that old carb and the new one off so many times i can do it in my sleep. ha,

o and i've also replaced the gov spring.

Sponsored Links

07-30-08, 03:26 PM   #42  
Posted By: taylorsm Sorry, I couldn't figure out how, but anyways. It is a BRAND new carb and the dia. I bought and installed it last friday. The tank has been drained once before,like a week ago. Since then i poured in some engine tune up/carb cleaner into the gas tank,but i've ran 2-3 tanks though it. I just checked the flywheel key and it was fine. It has compresson,spark,gas. But it sounds like it gets some gas, revs up,then it sounds like it is free wheeling back down until right before it dies it fires again. I've taken the block off and clean the piston. The crankshaft isnt bent, Its not smoking as bad now cause i cleaned all the excess oil. It sounds like it isn't getting fuel, but i have no way of really testing that. But thank you, ya i've taken that old carb and the new one off so many times i can do it in my sleep. ha,

o and i've also replaced the gov spring.

I removed carb, then ordered new gasket and diaphragm. Now I've forgotten where the linkage goes. Have the governor tied to the throttle (short wire) but two long springs that I don't see where they went (no holes). Can you help me?

Tim T.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-01-08, 12:54 AM   #43  
The larger spring goes from the loop in the governor link to the loop in the stamped metal throttle control. The smaller spring goes from the loop in the governor link to the tab with notches in the sides standing up between the loop the other spring hooks to and the engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-01-08, 01:13 AM   #44  
Posted By: tapiot I removed carb, then ordered new gasket and diaphragm. Now I've forgotten where the linkage goes. Have the governor tied to the throttle (short wire) but two long springs that I don't see where they went (no holes). Can you help me?

Tim T.
Thanks! Thats the way I set them but my son told me I was all wet (he's the one that was tasked with remembering where the springs went). Next time I'll take a picture.

I remember when I used to work on small engines, there were holes in the lever from the airvane....this only has the hole for the single link to the throttle. Lawnmower was free, got it for kid to tinker with (he's 16), floods...thought I'd try new diaphragm (old one didn't look so hot), put carb in carb cleaner bath (some mild acid in it, took the skin off my finger tips...doh...use gloves.

Thanks again!

Tim T.

Search this Thread