New here, and planning already! (lawn mower racer)

Old 06-21-06, 10:16 AM
New here, and planning already! (lawn mower racer)

Well i just stumbled upon this massive well made forum today, looking into how to modify lawn mowers to go faster and decided to register. We currently have an old 5hp mtd, 12 hp 1975 wheel horse c120 (manual shift), and a 2005 john deere gx255.

Ive been thinking about modifying the wheel horse to go faster, since its cutting days are over. Going to start with getting a smaller pulley for the transmission and maybe go from there.

The engines been rebuilt and bored out, but the fellow who had it for 2 years (took him that long to finally get to rebuilding it) screwed something up since we have a knocking in the engine. I was told when the tecumsin engines get rebuilt sometimes the bolt falls off or loosens off the piston rod and that i need to open it up and put the bolt back on... Theres probably quite a bit of damage to it with my luck.. (im not scared at all of working on it, not after rebuilding a truck transmissions valve body lol).

Anyways ill update this as i go along, in case someone is bored enough to read it

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-06, 01:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good luck with it!

Old 06-24-06, 10:44 AM
Hehe, already got some luck yesterday. I found a smaller pulley for the transmission, put it on and now it goes about 20mph

Old 06-26-06, 08:47 AM
I've done a lot of searching for mower racing tech articles or forums, and they just ain't there. You'd think there WOULD be, but the only things I find are racing club pics sites. The most informative site I've found was a British one, but even that site didn't talk much tech.

The main reason I was looking was to try and find out about parts compatibility or, rather, how to MAKE non-stock parts work...but there's not much out there. I have an old Dynamark that I'm trying to keep running, and I'm trying to hustle up parts for something from a company that doesn't appear to exist anymore.

This site's been, by far, the most informative site I've found.

Old 06-26-06, 07:35 PM
Yeah im quite surprised at the lack of technical information. So far ive pretty much been going on my own for designing parts of it. I see the odd idea out there that i might like and ill make it.

So far the pulleys been changed, and the belt (a bit too short though) and ive added a gas pedal and removed the governor. At the same time i also put a limiter in to stop me from blowing the engine. I also noticed there is a lot of play in the butterfly flap which could of been leading to some of my carburator problems.

Ill keep the mods updated here.

Old 06-27-06, 08:57 PM
if your looking to acually make a racing lawnmower there are many sites you can go to and get the rules booklet. there really arent many classes just stock and nonstock pretty much atleast. as for building the mower start with the rear pully and go from there next id weld the front end where it pivots because it makes the mower handel much better. if you want more speed go with a bigger pully in the front but good luck with that its not the easiest thing to do so hopefully you arent a speed junkie. the fastest ive gotten a mower to go without changing the front pully is 38 i changed it to not much bigger and jumped to 52 with the governor wide open. the smallest pulley they make is a 1" good luck with it because theyre pretty expensive last i remember it was 35 compared to 8 for a 2 in but the 1 and the 2 have a big difference. if you got ne questions im sure someone can answer them or atleast i know i probally can i know a mower from top to bottom. let us know how things go

Old 06-28-06, 11:38 AM
I think the rear pulley i used was 1.5" i found it on an old electric motor sitting around here. I think im going to change the fluid in the transmission soon since it probably is ancient stuff.

So far ive made a gas pedal, new air filter plate and put the filter on (meant for a 675cc kawasaki engine), somewhat dual exhaust (just for fun, and quiter).

Still trying to get the carb adjusted right, lots of sputtering and hard starts, also cant step on it very much or itl sputter. I think the carbs toast so im trying to work with what i got right now.

Old 01-10-09, 11:17 PM
I just finished making my racing mower, it started life as an old '87 John Deere 160 (though now it is a buick), the front pulley ended up being 8in, the rear 1in, and the paint job was just a special little bonus, I've hit thirty with it before, and I feared for my life. you can see pics of it here:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...r/IMG_0275.jpg