hard to start B&S

Old 09-14-06, 04:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
hard to start B&S

I recently bought a new mower from Lowes with a 4 hp B&S. It takes about 15-20 pulls to get it started. Once running, it can be restarted with about a 1/2 a pull. The next day it will start with 1-2 pulls. Wait 7-10 days it again takes 15-20 pulls to get it going.

I contacted B&S and they suggested I take off the breather and pour a spoonfull of gas in the carb to make it start quicker. It is a brand new mower, I've used it 4 times, they have got to be kidding.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Dynamite, fuse and a match would work but I don't think it would help my lawn any
It has the primer bulb on the side which I push 3-5 times.

Old 09-14-06, 05:48 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Try the primer 15 times, if that does the trick then your primer system needs looked at. Depending on Exactly which engine you have it could be the bulb itself or gaskets including carb gasket.

Old 09-14-06, 06:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks, I'll check it out in the AM

Old 09-14-06, 08:16 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Take it back, if it is this much of a pain when new, what will it be like when it out of warranty. I have some very old mowers that set longer than a week and will start on second pull. So keep your future fustration to a minimum and return it for an exchange of a different mower. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-15-06, 02:55 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Typically, these Briggs "classic" engines require only two primes to be up and running. Anything more and you have a flooded condition and thus a hard starting symptom. Try the two prime trick and see how it goes and post back. If this doesn't do the trick and if Lowes won't exchange it, then you need to see your local Briggs service center for possible warranty work.

Old 09-15-06, 03:00 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree there is something wrong with the priming system or maybe you're not priming it enough? My Briggs requires 5 pumps to the primer and fires everytime. Since I'm in here I've got to tell this story. Several years ago I finally broke down and bought a new push mower and put the old mower out of sight under my deck. About 2 years later I decided to throw out the old mower....crawled under the deck and grabbed the mower by the rope and gave it a pull to drag it out....fired right up! After I changed my pants I absolutely couldn't get rid of it then....my daughter uses it to this day! I still miss that old mower....no blade brake, no frills, just a simple 3.5 Murray.

Old 09-15-06, 06:42 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by marksr

I contacted B&S and they suggested I take off the breather and pour a spoonfull of gas in the carb to make it start quicker. It is a brand new mower, I've used it 4 times, they have got to be kidding.
Originally Posted by puey61
If this doesn't do the trick and if Lowes won't exchange it, then you need to see your local Briggs service center for possible warranty work.
How "recently" was this purchase?

Old 09-15-06, 10:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Azis
How "recently" was this purchase?

End of july, this year, like I said I've only needed to mow 4 times since I got it. I was shocked at B&S's response to pre prime the carb when I contacted their warranty dept.

I last mowed on monday and this morning I primed it twice like puey61 suggested and it fired up on the frist pull Maybe it had some trash restricting the primer/choke that finally worked itself loose. I'll wait and see what it does the next time I need to mow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: