Lawnboy problem

Old 06-24-06, 05:20 AM
Lawnboy problem

I have a model 10227 lawnboy walk behind and am having carburetor problems. There is a "fuel shield" just outside the carburetor that seems to be causing the trouble. I can start the engine and it seems to run as if it had a choke valve fully closed (very rich). However there is no choke valve only a primer. When I press the primer just once, it sprays gas back in the air filter. I took the fuel shield out and it really sprays gas into the air filter and I haven't been able to start it. I have completely rebuilt the carburetor including a new float. It just seems that the fuel shield would act like a partially closed choke valve.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-06, 12:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
By that description, I'd really want to take a look at the muffler to see if it's clogged, or the exhaust port from the engine to the muffler. Sounds like exhaust restriction.

Old 06-25-06, 04:14 AM
Exclamation

Cheese, I've already taken the muffler off and checked it and the exhaust port. It just seems wrong that with one push of the primer bulb...there is gas running into the air filter.

Old 06-25-06, 06:55 PM
Is this a 4 cycle briggs? If so, than the "fuel shield" I think you mean is the back of the air filter housing. If the gasket between the housing & carb is torn, this may be you're problem. The primer pumps fuel into the housing & thru the "fuel shield." But only on the B&S engine

Old 06-25-06, 07:53 PM
No, the engine is manufactured by lawnboy...it is a 2 cycle engine. A picture of the "fuel shield" is at https://lookup2.toro.com/partdex/ind...Caller=lawnboy it is part number 6.

Old 06-25-06, 08:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ummmm.......they want the model number of the lawnmower so we cant view it. I entered 6 and a WHOLE bunch of models came up.

Originally Posted by Jack B.
No, the engine is manufactured by lawnboy...it is a 2 cycle engine. A picture of the "fuel shield" is at https://lookup2.toro.com/partdex/ind...Caller=lawnboy it is part number 6.

Old 06-26-06, 12:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The model number has already been given at the beginning of this thread.

I was thinking it was spraying gas back toward the filter when you had it running. Could the carb just be flooding (needle not seating), and that's why it won't start? Is the plug wet? Did you get a look at the piston with the muffler off?

Old 06-26-06, 07:02 PM
O.K. The "fuel shield" is the throttle plate. It's supposed to be there & it controls eng speed. Sounds like a float sunk or a leaking needle. The gas puffing into the air filter may also have something to do with the reed valves. Why was it rebuilt to start with?? Is it only spraying into the filter with the engine off when you're priming it??

Old 06-26-06, 07:31 PM
It sprays into the air filter with the engine off and when I only press the primer just once. When I rebuilt the carburetor it was complete including a new float.