Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Installing new drive belt on Sabre (John Deere) tractor

WI

06-24-06, 02:46 PM   #1  
Installing new drive belt on Sabre (John Deere) tractor

I am really stuck. The drive belt on my grandfather's Sabre tractor shredded and broke. He bought a new one at a local supplier and I have verified it is the same length (48"). The tractor is about 10 years old, The engine is 15 HP (can't remember brand) and mower is 38".

The problem is that I can't physically apply enough pressure to the sheave pully spring to allow the belt to slip onto it. The tractor has a hydrostatic transmission and the belt is under constant tension. I considered removing the spring, but it is already under a tremendous amount of tension and I doubt I'd be able to get it back on. The spring has to stretch another 1/2 to 3/4 inch, which might as well be a mile. I have tried different approaches like removing the idle pully and trying to slip it back onto the bolt with the belt already on, but to no avail. I tried wedging in a block of wood and using a crow bar to pry, but it seemed really dangerous. I'm out of ideas now. Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links

Non-US

06-24-06, 05:42 PM   #2  
Is it possible to run the belt around all the small pulleys, Than start it onto the large pulley (@ the trans, I think), than rotate the large pulley by hand & @ the same time pull the belt around with it?? MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT SPARK PLUGS

06-24-06, 10:36 PM   #3  
(1)Try pushing in the clutch and locking it in Park. or (2)Start from the back to the front, take the belt off of the engine pulley ( not completely just off the small upper pulley) install it onto the trans, and idler pulleys and work it back onto the engine pulley by turning it. Remove the spark plug to make the engine pulley easier to turn.

WI

06-25-06, 11:15 AM   #4  
Thanks for the tips! I tried both the engine and tranny pullies but neither was much larger than the idle pulley, and didn't allow me to get close enough to start the belt onto the pulley. As a last resort I tried again removing the spring, but from a different vantage point. This time I was able to remove it. Getting it back on with the belt installed was a real bear, but I did it. Everything is back in working order now. Yipee!!

06-25-06, 02:45 PM   #5  
We knew You Could do it.

Search this Thread