parts for old troy bilt tomahawk chipper

Old 06-25-06, 03:41 PM
D
doc
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
parts for old troy bilt tomahawk chipper

I have a old troy bilt super tomahawk chipper shredder. Its been a great machine, but its getting all but impossible to find parts. Most immediately, I need a new drive belt.

Does anyone know what size belt it is so I can at least find an off brand replacement? For the long run, where does one find parts for this beautiful machine?

Old 06-25-06, 05:34 PM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
v-belt

If you can post the part number for the belt I'll see if I have a cross for it

AJ

Old 06-27-06, 06:35 AM
Murray took over this line when GardenWay went kapput. MTD didn't want it. But Murray is gone now, absorbed by Briggs & Stratten, and they are not really supporting any Murray products with parts. So your best bet is Ebay, or long time Troy-Bilt dealers that might still have some parts on the shelf. Thankfully, most of the parts on the chippers were really generic. Things like bearings, shredder knives, engine parts and belts can be gotten at most small engine shops and other shredder dealers. The only really tough parts to get are replacement perforated screens and the chipper knife, but I see them on Ebay fairly often. I own a very early Tomahawk from Troy-Bilt that still has W. W. Grinder's name on it (the original manufacturer, now out of business)

Old 06-27-06, 07:21 AM
D
doc
great

You two are a godsend. I KNEW there was a good reason for keeping the parts catalog all these years.

aj Allen -- The part number for the belt is 97133. thanks.

Its really a shame -- these chippers are built to last, but they obviously outlast the companies who build them..... too bad.

bontai Joe - how old is yours? Mine's from 1991.

I'm going to need new flails and a knife pretty soon - its good to know I might have some luck at local small engine shops.

thanks to you both.

Old 06-27-06, 08:45 AM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
V-belt

Doc 97133 is a 5/8 X 29 1/4 belt many of the after market belts will work
Stens exact match 265-107
Silver Streak 75-592
Rotary 7574

AJ

Old 06-27-06, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by doc
bontai Joe - how old is yours? Mine's from 1991.

I'm going to need new flails and a knife pretty soon - its good to know I might have some luck at local small engine shops.

thanks to you both.
Mine is from the early 1980's not sure exactly (1981 or 82??). It was the first year that Troy-Bilt sold them and came with a little 4 1/2 HP Tec motor. Thankfully they put bigger motors on later and improved the clutch. I'm on my second belt, replaced all the bearings once, replaced the centrifugal clutch once, rebuilt the carb once (and needs it again). The shredder "T" knives can be rotated 180 degrees to present a new sharp cutting edge on the opposite side. The chipper blade can be CAREFULLY ground to a new sharp edge. It's a DARN hard piece of steel, super tough and I couldn't get a file to cut it.

Old 06-27-06, 02:01 PM
D
doc
aj -- thanks for the info. I'm sure I can find it locally. saves me a ton of looking around.

joe -- sounds like you've really kept that chipper running. As for me, i just hope my angle grinder can sharpen the knife. When the engine parts start to go, I may be looking for a new one....

again, thanks to you both!
doc

Old 06-28-06, 07:29 AM
The engine is replaceble from several sources for around $250 (I'm thinking of the 4 1/2 HP Tec on mine) and if mine were to go, I'd get a replacement motor without hesitation. It's a 1 hour job to swap motors on these for the average do it yourselfer. The machine is built too well to throw away, and can't be replaced for twice what a new motor costs.

Old 06-28-06, 11:55 AM
D
doc
that's a good way to think about it. I must have abused my terribly over the years as I've cracked my chipper chute at at the flange/base connection least 3 or 4 times. It would be worth looking into a new engine should it quit, though.

thanks.

doc

Old 02-26-09, 08:29 AM
C
another on

i also have a old 1990 garden way bolens/ tomahawk jr. chipper. being in the same boat as every one else with this machine. when looking you find that the machine is no more, parts very hard to find. the ones still working are monster work horse's. i have found the following companys to be of major help in keeping my machine still running. i was even able to repower with a ohv 9hp brigg's from the oem 5 hp tecums thanks to tulsa small engine for 1/2 of a new 5hp tecums.
the following companies web sites are of major help

samsbolens dot com has used parts and a very few new blades still in stock.

sharptool dot com in Hudson,Mass. can and will custom make the blade for very near what they sell for when one can be found. here is another that will make the chipper blade.

zenithcutter dot com both just need a old one to make the new ones from. and man can they do a great job. yes you will wait a number of weeks for the part, as custom is custom time also. just being able to find where i could was major help

i also found the the leading edge of the blade was always were they crack off. useing diamond cutter disc "these bad boys are rockwell 60 hardness" on my hand held grinder and a lot of water.i rounded that edge down just a small amount . maybe 1/4 to 3/8 conture. so as it takes away the point and shoots it closer to the flywheel. taking a lot of strain off the blade. they have lasted me a lot longer the before now.

the shreader fails can be found from chalmersindustries dot com. mine is a direct drive one no belt but when fixing others i was able to get a good heavy duty from our tractor supply store

i hope this helps others like me to keep thier machines running on for years to come. these were from the days of real tools. my own customers love my being able to keep thiers running on like a model t ford

Last edited by Shadeladie; 02-26-09 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-26-09, 10:37 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the update on where to get some parts. These machines were really well built in their time and it's generally worth fixing them up to keep 'em running.

Old 04-14-09, 01:50 PM
J
High,I'm new to these boards,so I hope I have this in the right place.I also have an old Tomahawk that I bought used in 1997 and have no manuals.I have replaced the motor 3 years ago and now I need to replace the frails.I was hoping someone could explain how to change them.I already have a set that I bought on Ebay last year.Thank you,Nick.

Old 05-19-09, 01:39 PM
W
Handle

I'm looking for a new handle for a Troy-bilt Super Tomahawk 8HP chipper/shreader. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-17-09, 08:50 PM
R
Troy Super Tomahawk Main Bearings Needed

I am also new to using forums. I have a Troy Chiper, Model 190412, w/a B&S 8HP Engine. I've used it for years and now the main bearings that thrashes the limbs are shot. Any idea where to get replacements?
Thanks!

Old 08-20-09, 03:50 PM
Your best bet is to disassemble the unit and take the bearings to a bearing distributer for replacements. I had to have most other parts for the chipper hand built. Mine came with a 5 hp Tec. I work the heck out of it once a year when I clean up the back acerage and make a lot of mulch.

Old 08-21-09, 07:26 AM
Considering the application, vibration and shock loads. you might want to get the best quality well sealed bearings you can afford. They operated in a nasty dirty environment. If you have no bearing supply or industrial supply places near you, you can Google "Mc Master Carr" on the internet. But I'd check your local phone book yellow pages first. Some local hardware stores will order bearings for you also. Costs nothing to ask 'em.

Old 10-18-09, 08:56 AM
C
super tomahawk chipper/shredder

Kind of new to this I have a 1985 8 hp chipper model #10941 {st} I need a new belt for it whick I can probably find locally but I need to find some replacement parts for the chipper shredder roll pin w2007507, cylinder housing w2030751, cylinder pin w20307508, cylinder hammer w20307503, spacer short w20307504, spacer long w20307505, spacer short w20307506 if anyone can help me please reply thank you Mike

Old 10-29-09, 01:37 PM
T
Garden Way Super Tomahawk chipper/shredder

I recently was given what I think is a 1984 vintage Garden Way Super Tomahawk Chipper/Shredder with a Tecumseh engine (no info on engine showing what Hp it is...any clues on where to find info on engine?).
model number is : 10939ST
serial number is : W505279
I have been unable to locate a manual for this machine and would like to start rebuilding it this winter. Any ideas on where I might find one? The MTD manual site doesn't work with the info I plug in.
Thanks for any and all help.

Old 11-02-09, 11:49 AM
B
Need discharge screen for Super Tomahawk 11387

Hi all; Belts are no problem but I now need a new discharge screen for my 5hp Super. vintage '88 '89 Troy-Bilt. PN w20501075. Any of you out there selling off parts or have any ideas. Nothing on eBay when I last looked. The old one is cracked & bent. Thanks.

Old 07-01-10, 01:02 PM
B
Super Tomahawk Chipper/Shredder

I am having trouble locating the proper drive belt for my old machine with a Briggs & Stratton 8hp engine. I have the model and serial numbers from the engine, but I suppose I need that same info from the chipper itself to get the proper part, correct?

Old 07-01-10, 01:12 PM
M
I'm using a B-26 belt on mine and it works fine.
Mike

Old 09-14-10, 04:44 AM
A
Troybilt super tomahawk tow hitch

New to forum, really glad to find it. Have a 5HP 1990 Super Tomahawk, the original sales brochure lists a tow hitch option. Just had back surgery and this would be extremely helpful. Has anyone heard of or seen this option.

Thanks

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-14-10 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-15-10, 01:35 PM
Tomahawk chipper

I have the hitch on my Tomahawk chipper, but do not think it will help you with your back. The chipper is quite heavy to tilt to use the hitch. I can send you pictures if you like and demensions so you could have one made. Contact me through my messages area and we can communicate away from here.

Old 10-02-10, 11:24 PM
C
Tomahawk 8HP Model No. 47267

Have looked at 5+ web sites that carry Troy-Bilt parts, but have not found this particular part.

Part No. 1908146 Cylinder Pin (with roll pin hole).

Anyone know where this particular part can be obtained?

Old 10-04-10, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by addgre
New to forum, really glad to find it. Have a 5HP 1990 Super Tomahawk, the original sales brochure lists a tow hitch option. Just had back surgery and this would be extremely helpful. Has anyone heard of or seen this option.

Thanks
I have to agree with Camino Kid on the hitch. Mine has one also, but it's still a chore to wrestle it into position to use the hitch. Once attached to the tractor, it's nice to tow it around, but it has to be unhitched to use it, can't run it while hitched.

Old 10-11-10, 02:40 PM
S
Need Parts help and documentation for Troy Bilt, Super Tomahalk Model 11389, 8Hp

If anyone can help, It would be most help full. I am new here and Don't know if I am doing this right. This is an Original Garden Way machine. It runs grate but needs new blades. The ones I have are either broken or not worth sharping. I really need a copy of the original parts book. If anyone has a copy I will feed back any issues I find solutions to. Thanks for any help a head of time. Jim

Old 10-11-10, 04:50 PM
C
Tomahawk 8HP Model No. 47267

I have the parts catalog for this particular model only. It is the 8HP I/C Electric.
Am looking for part No. 1908146 Cylinder Pin (with roll pin hole). Need only one, but would purchase several if they can be found.

Would appreciate any sources to locate this specific part.

Old 10-11-10, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by CA_Kid
Would appreciate any sources to locate this specific part.

Hello CA_Kid,

Have you checked this place; MP1908146MA

It appears your unit was built by Murray/Noma and since Briggs purchased Murray they put the MA on the end of the original part number. My Briggs dealer site still list this part number in their system, So you should be able to have it ordered in (part #1908146MA) at any Briggs dealership.

Good Luck

Old 10-11-10, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by sasquash5074
If anyone can help, It would be most help full. I am new here and Don't know if I am doing this right. This is an Original Garden Way machine. It runs grate but needs new blades. The ones I have are either broken or not worth sharping. I really need a copy of the original parts book. If anyone has a copy I will feed back any issues I find solutions to. Thanks for any help a head of time. Jim

http://forum.doityourself.com/outdoo...ts-manual.html

Not good enough ?

Old 10-12-10, 01:20 PM
S
Sorry, Don't Understand, Not Good Enough????

Last edited by sasquash5074; 10-12-10 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Missed some words
Old 10-16-10, 10:10 AM
S
Found Source for Parts, Super Tomahalk, Model 11389, 8HP

Chipper Cylinder Hammer Blades, PN 1900102
Drive belt W5L350
Source is Chalmers Ind, Chalmers Industries Home Page
They have a lot of parts

Old 10-16-10, 01:59 PM
S
Super Tomahalk, Model 11389,

Just tore down the Cylinder blade assembly, to the bare bones. The only issue I have is, I think I am going to have to make my own spacers. I have checked on line for 3/4OD roll pin stock but can not find any. Has anyone ever tried using 1/2 rigid pipe and make the split with a grinder cutting wheel. The ID is the same. Just a thought. I know the split is required to allow for corosion build up. I was hoping that someone else has had the same issue and came up with either a source or made their own. Any ideas? I could post some pictures if anyone is interested in what it looks like taken apart. Without a clear manual I missed the snap ring on the shaft when I was trying to remove it. I finally figured something was stopping it and and found and removed it, it came out easily afterwards. Would love to talk to someone else who has done the same thing and maybe trade ideas. You are welcome to email me direct if you would like.
Thanks for the information listed in this forum. One other silly question does anyone know what the differences between the various model numbers that are close to the same, and are the manuls the same for part numbers.
I would be glad to pay someone for their time to scan and email me a manual for this model. The one on line only has the 1st page of what appears to be a five page listing.
Thanks agin for any help or suggestions, Jim

Old 10-16-10, 02:04 PM
S
The shaft wouldn't happen to be 1/2" would it, same as model 11389, I have mine torn down and am looking for the same part., I guess I put this in wrong place. Sorry new at this. Was trying to respond to CA_Kid question about part #1908146 Cylinder Pin (with roll pin hole).

Old 10-17-10, 11:56 PM
C
Thanks for the URL referral. They had the part I needed. While I needed only one, did purchase two, for the "just in case". Thanks again, worked out fine. Still awaiting the parts.

Old 10-23-10, 04:34 PM
S
Was the part the same as what you needed. I am looking for the same parts but all the other spacers. I think I have a parts breake down in the mail but have not received it yet. Could you let me know if the part you ordered has an outside diamiter of 3/4" and your shaft is 1/2. I need to replace all my spacers and may be able to use same material.

Old 10-24-10, 08:48 PM
C
The ordered parts did arrive. In the Troy-bilt parts catalog, they are called Cylinder Pin and have a part no. of: 1908146. They are 8 11/16" long and have a diameter of 7/16". Hope this helps.

Old 10-27-10, 03:08 PM
S
To Ca_Kid, thank you for answering. You said it was 7/16" was this the ID. The reason I am asking is this can be cut to make the other spacers. I have purchased a parts booklet that covers 11389 and the 14/15 series models. I would be happy to scan and copy for those that need it. At no charge. I hope to cross reference as much of the old numbers to what is available and provide it to all that needs it. Thanks for the up date Jim.

Old 10-30-10, 09:20 AM
S
For billwillct4, The cross reference to new part number from W20501075 is 1766968001. This item can be located at partsandservice.com and is listed for about $43.00. This site will also cross reference from original Garden Way part numbers to new part numbers have crossed all of the Cyclinder assy to new numbers. Hope this helps

Old 11-10-10, 11:44 AM
R
troy bilt troubles

i have a chipper model 47282, cant seem to find any help until now.
i need a bearing or shim that goes between the rotor and the housing, i tighten the bolt on rotor and cant pull the cord, removed the rotor and the key way has scratched the inner housing.
any helper please on where to find parts that are missing.

thanks people.

Old 11-15-10, 10:28 AM
F
Question Troy-Bilt Chipper/Vac P/N 47279

I bought this great machine in 1993. It is finally feeling it's age and I need some parts. This blog is my last chance!

Just about done with the leaves this year when my Gear Shift Lever Assy. P/N 1901300 has frozen up and broken. I have to change gears at the Transaxle manually. I could also use a new leave Collection Bag P/N 1901482.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: