gas leak

Old 06-26-06, 08:34 AM
gas leak

hi
i have an old birggs 3.5 gas lawmower and just replaced the gas filter and o ring thats the silver casing.problem is now it wont start and the gas is leaking through the muffler and suggestions.
Thanks in advance
desperate

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-06, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by muterboys
hi
i have an old birggs 3.5 gas lawmower and just replaced the gas filter and o ring thats the silver casing.problem is now it wont start and the gas is leaking through the muffler and suggestions.
Thanks in advance
desperate
Check the float needle valve, and be prepared to change out your almost-certainly-contaminated oil in the crankcase.

Old 06-26-06, 07:51 PM
What is the model #, this will let me know more about it.

Old 06-27-06, 01:11 PM
muterboys,

If your engines carb has a bowel at the bottom and does not connect to the gas tank then there is trash in the inlet or it is hung. I assume you turned the mower over on it's side at some point...?

Either case, there is a bolt that holds the bowel on. Pinch of the fuel supply and remove the bolt. Some gas will leak out of the bowl so don't worry.

There is a small pin that holds the float in place. Slide this pin out which will release the float. Don't loose the tiny spring that holds the needle to the float. Spray the small port that the needle seats in with carb cleaner. Replace all parts and open the gas supply. If it's still leaking try tapping on the side of the bowel with a small rench.

Warning: Be sure to change your "OIL"... afterwords!!!

God Bless,
Dave 237