Toro Ride On Is Burning Blue/Black Smoke

Old 06-27-06, 04:02 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toro Ride On Is Burning Blue/Black Smoke

I have a toro riding mower with a Briggs and stratton 14.5 hp OHV quiet plus engine - Just last week it began burning blue smoke and going through oil - ~6oz of oil in 1 hour of cutting the lawn. When I take off the air filter and turn over the engine puffs of blue smoke come out of the hole to the engine where the air filter was. I have changed the oil - I am using sae-30 - I have not over filled the engine with oil. What could be wrong and what can I do if anything to fix it. The tractor is about 8 years old. All suggestions welcome - Thank you.

Old 06-27-06, 06:52 PM
D
Dad2three,

Being that this is a sudden event I would say it's a cracked piston or damaged piston rings... Is the breather tube blowing oil and smoke or just smoke? Also, what is the model number of the engine? It should contain 6 numbers found on the blower housing.

Let Us know.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 06-27-06, 08:39 PM
Could be a faulty breather or blown head gasket.

Old 06-28-06, 12:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I think, being a sudden development, I would take a look at the head gasket. They blow between the cylinder and valve chamber, causing excessive pressure buildup in the crankcase, resulting in oil getting into the combustion chamber and burning off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: