Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mantis 20 - SV2AE Mini Tiller won't start after running fine

CAL

06-27-06, 08:13 PM   #1  
Mantis 20 - SV2AE Mini Tiller won't start after running fine

I have a Mantis 20 SV2AE mini tiller, Echo carburetor. I took the carb apart and soaked it and it ran fine for about an hour. Now it won't start. I checked the plug and it was fouled so I put in a new one and it still won't start.

I didn't replace the gaskets when I cleaned it, I put back the old ones. Would this let enough debris in to cause it not to start? Seems like every time I use thing it has be be completely cleaned before it runs.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

AL

06-27-06, 11:39 PM   #2  
Posted By: Stumped1 I have a Mantis 20 SV2AE mini tiller, Echo carburetor. I took the carb apart and soaked it and it ran fine for about an hour. Now it won't start. I checked the plug and it was fouled so I put in a new one and it still won't start.

I didn't replace the gaskets when I cleaned it, I put back the old ones. Would this let enough debris in to cause it not to start? Seems like every time I use thing it has be be completely cleaned before it runs.

Any ideas?

You said that you replaced a fouled spark plug but...can you still get spark directly from the plug wire??That being said,the answer to your qustion you ask is:

No, not so much trash/debris unless the fuel filter in the tank or the inlet screen in the carb. is dirty.Carburetor diaphragms gets stiff and don't wanta work right.
Chances are....if the ignition is alright...you put a gasket/diaphragm kit in the carb.it will start runing fine again.

CAL

06-29-06, 08:08 PM   #3  
It is getting spark, I took it apart again and soaked it. I replaced the gas tank, the old one was filthy inside, lots of sediment. I will put fresh fuel in tomorrow and see what happens.

Are all 2 stroke small engines this tempermental? I got a gas tiller over electric because I thought it would have more power, but this thing is really high maintenance.

AL

06-29-06, 09:18 PM   #4  
Posted By: Stumped1 Are all 2 stroke small engines this tempermental?

>>> ** YES ** <<< I've been working on small engines for 30+ years.And I found them all to be finnky no matter if you've got a chain saw,trimmer,blower,lawnmower or what ever if it's 2-cycle,it's going to be tempermental.That's just a fact of life.Everything on it has to be "JUST SO SO".

But I still wouldn't trade 3 electric powered anything for 1 gas powered one.

CAL

06-29-06, 10:32 PM   #5  
Well, knowing that I won't get so aggravated when it won't start. It does a great job when it runs , now that I've taken it apart a couple of times it's pretty easy. Thanks for the advice.

Can I swap a float carb for the diaphragm carb? I've heard the float carbs are less likely to have problems.

AL

07-01-06, 04:01 PM   #6  
That's a 2 cycle engine.To my knowledge nobody makes a float type carb to fit a 2 stroker.

CAL

07-03-06, 02:49 PM   #7  
I primed it with some carb cleaner and ran on choke only, but after about a minute the spark arrestor/muffler(?) area started smoking and getting hot so I shut it down. Did I do any damage?

AL

07-03-06, 11:10 PM   #8  
Sorry it took so long to get back with you.But talking about tempermental,this computer in driving me nuts.

Anyway I don't think that you did any damage,I think that it's runing too rich and just flooded,and the muffler is just got fuel in it.It should be dryed out by morning,so....Try resetting the high speed screw (that's the one closest to the air filter).Screw it all the way in,JUST BOTTOM IT OUT,DO NOT TIGHTEN.then back it out about one full turn,then try to restart it.If it doesn't start then back it out in 1/8 turn entervels till it cranks,let it worm up,then fine tune the carb adjustments.

CAL

07-05-06, 11:44 AM   #9  
I think I found the problem...

With the carb off today I accidentally left the fuel line facing straight down towards the driveway. Guess what? No fuel spilling. I'm going to replace the fuel filter today, I'm almost certain this is going to get it running.

Because I know that d***n carb is clean now.!!

Thanks.

Last edited by Stumped1; 07-05-06 at 09:44 PM.

CAL

07-07-06, 03:36 PM   #10  
Got it started, ran for 45 minutes, then flooded, what now?

I replaced the fuel line and filter and it started up and ran fine for about 45 minutes. Then it stalled and was flooded.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't tighten the screw inside the carb that adjusts the spring enough, and it worked loose while tilling. Because when I tightned it firm it seemed that the spring wasn't moving, so I loosened it to give the spring some flex.

Could this be it?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-08-06, 01:16 AM   #11  
Sounds like a pretty good place to look. You should be able to snug the screw tight and still have spring action on the lever.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CAL

07-09-06, 12:34 PM   #12  
Now it surges at idle!!!

We'll the fuel filter had come loose causing the flooding.

My Walbro rebuild kit came yesterday. installed everything today, with a little adjustment, runs fantastic. Funny tihing about the gaskets, I thought the old ones didn't look so bad, until compared with the new ones!

Thank again, DIY forums!

Last edited by Stumped1; 07-09-06 at 12:46 PM.

AL

07-09-06, 01:42 PM   #13  
Well I'm glad to hear that it's runing now.
Don't forget where this fourm is and best of luck.

Search this Thread