Stihl 021 chainsaw will not rev

Old 06-28-06, 11:08 AM
Angry Stihl 021 chainsaw will not rev

I have a Stihl 021 chainsaw that ran good last winter. It now will start and idle but not rev up for power. There is not a high mixture screw. I have cleaned the carburator and it is fine with good seals, gas is new and mixed correctly, filters are clean, spark plug is new, chain is free and brake is off. What now it starts fine and idles ok just will not rev up past half throttle.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-06, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by cftuna
I have a Stihl 021 chainsaw that ran good last winter. It now will start and idle but not rev up for power.:

Since it's been setting up for that long check the muffler/exhoust ports.Mud dobbers can reak havoc on a 2 cycle engine.

Old 06-28-06, 11:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
how tight is the chain a too tight of a chain and the engine can't turn it.

Originally Posted by cftuna
I have a Stihl 021 chainsaw that ran good last winter. It now will start and idle but not rev up for power. There is not a high mixture screw. I have cleaned the carburator and it is fine with good seals, gas is new and mixed correctly, filters are clean, spark plug is new, chain is free and brake is off. What now it starts fine and idles ok just will not rev up past half throttle.

Old 06-28-06, 01:06 PM
Thank you gentlemen
The chain is lose enough to spin by hand
No blocked ports as I have pulled muffler and cleaned
I did find crack in fuel line and replace it.
Saw starts easy and runs to about 1/3 throttle then will not rev up from there......???

Old 06-28-06, 03:15 PM
If everything seems fine I would check the throttle linkage to see that when you press the trigger it goes to full throttle. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 06-28-06, 10:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What does it do, go up part throttle and hold there, or does it try to die when you pass 1/2 throttle? For now, it sounds like you still have a carb problem.

Old 06-28-06, 11:30 PM
Check the impulse hole behind the carburetor to make sure that it`s not partially blocked by a misaligned or damaged intake gasket.
if not check for blockage behind the fiber insulator (behind the carb) The impulse hole must be completely clear in order for the carb, to be pumped properly.
Is your throttle cable stretched out?
Is the fuel filter disconnected from the fuel line inside the tank?

Old 02-01-15, 01:30 PM
no rev chainsaw?

I just cleaned out a little mesh on the exhaust port of my chain saw it is a home lite 3314 and now it rocks!!! Full power and everything...I had changed out the spark plug and air filter first and no difference Name:  HomeliteCSP3314.jpg
Views: 2361
Size:  14.2 KB