Problem with new Honda mower

Old 06-28-06, 02:31 PM
Problem with new Honda mower

I bought a new Honda HRR216K3VXA this past May. Today I got it out, topped off the gas, and tried to start it. No dice. It doesn't even pretend to try to want to start. OK, I still have my old K-Gro mower which has a few years on it. Topped it off, started it up, and after about 20 minutes it sputtered to a stop. After about a 5 minute cool down, it started again, and once again, after maybe 10 minutes it sputtered to a stop. Unable to restart it, at this time. The gasoline appears to be the only thing linking the two mowers. The gas came from the bottom of the gas can. That is, I'd guess there was maybe a pint of gas in the can, from which I topped off both mowers. It smelled like gas, but was clear, like water. I poured what little was left into my grill, and it fired up, just like you'd expect gas to do. Before I haul the Honda to the repair facility, should I try some fresh gas? Keep in mind this gas was maybe a month old. Or, I'll except any other suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-06, 02:35 PM
Yes, try fresh clean gasoline first. Is the oil level correct in both machines?

Old 06-28-06, 03:09 PM
If you haven't gotten the new gas yet I would suggest you put a small amount of gas in the container and slosh it around the pour it into a clear container or thru a coffee filter you may have put a bunch of rust and other sediment junk into both mower so rinse the tank. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 06-28-06, 05:48 PM
The oil level is OK.

The gas that was in the old mower was from a different supply, then I poured the other gas in the tank. Could have picked up some sediment, I guess. I'll try sloshing it around. The can has a filter in the spout, and it looks clean.

Old 07-08-06, 08:44 AM
Here's the update. It was a co-incidence both quit. The Honda went to the local authorized service center. Turns out the ignition was bad. No fire. The old K-gro, with B&S Quantum engine, had a clogged up carb. I cleaned the fuel line, air filter housing, sprayed out the carb, sprayed starting fluid in it, and it fired up. It stumbled and bumbled for a couple of minutes, and I'd give it a shot of carb cleaner, and eventually it settled down and ran like a champ. Guess I ought to check the plug again, and see what may have happened to it after the starting and cleaning stuff hit it.

Old 07-09-06, 12:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it! The plug should be fine, unless it already had buildup on it before hand. If it has a little soot on it, it should burn off when the engine gets a good workout.

Old 07-09-06, 07:23 AM
PS, I no longer believe Honda is the best mower available, despite what Consumer Reports and other "consumer advocates" say.