tecumseh carb leaking

Old 07-01-06, 09:11 AM
tecumseh carb leaking

I have a tecumseh h25 horizontal shaft motor that leaks gas from the air filter. I just purchased this motor and put a new diaphram, seat, needle, washer gasket and spring in it and it still leaks. i have not rebuilt a small engine carb before so i could have done something wrong. i did not pull those plugs in fear of breaking something. I sure could use some help.

thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-06, 09:47 AM
The problem is probably centered at the needle and seat. That is almost always the cause of a fuel leak thru the carb into the throttle bore. Did you set the diaphram lever to spec?

Old 07-01-06, 10:44 AM
I don't know what the diaphram lever is.

Old 07-01-06, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by JLOpower
The problem is probably centered at the needle and seat. That is almost always the cause of a fuel leak thru the carb into the throttle bore. Did you set the diaphram lever to spec?

What is the diaphram lever?

Old 07-01-06, 04:52 PM
spidyrmen,

Loosen the nut that holds the float bowel to the bottom of the carb, don't remove it. Turn the bowel a 1/4 turn then return it to it's original position and retighten the nut. The float bowel has an air pocket and by loosening the bowel allows the air to escape. This is commen when the bowel fills for the first time after it's been empty.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 07-01-06, 06:50 PM
You stated you replaced the diaphram which lead me to believe you are working on a diaphram/pumper type carb. On many but not all carbs of that type, the diaphram operates a small lever that pushes the needle into the seat assembly. There is a setting for that lever that must be maintained for proper function of the carb. I was talking generally as I don't know the exact version or brand of carb you have. Sorry if i caused confusion.

Also your carb may not have a floatbowl to bleed air out of as dave suggested.

Old 07-01-06, 08:04 PM
It Is A Diaphram Type Lauson Carb. When I First Took The Diaphram And Needle Out It Did Not Have The Spring. So I Am Guessing That The Piece That You Are Talking About Is Missing Also. Is It A Part I Can Purchase Somewhere?

Thanx

Old 07-01-06, 08:55 PM
If we`re talk about a diaphragm carb and not a float carb. The spring, needle and seat goes inside the brass fitting in the center. first remove the brass fitting. the spring fits on the back of the needle and seats down in the cavity, spring first with the pointed end of the needle facing out , the seat goes inside the brass fitting with the groove down and then insert brass fitting over the needle and spring . "There is no lever." To position the gasket and diaphragm, first the gasket (against the carburetor suface) then the diaphragm and cover.
If the gasket and diaphragm are in the wrong position it will hold the inlet needle open a cause it to leak.
Most of the older Tecumseh 2 1/2 and 3 hp horizontal engine used diaphragm carburetors

Old 07-01-06, 09:27 PM
spidyrmen,

If you don't have a carb bowel; I agree with mikesmalleng. Take his advice.

God Bless,
Dave237

Last edited by dave237; 07-01-06 at 10:05 PM.