pressure washer dies when using gun

Old 06-28-06, 11:32 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pressure washer dies when using gun

My pressure washer was working just fine and now when I start it up it stutters a little more and when I go to use the high pressure water hose it works for about 5 seconds then slow starts to die out until it stops completely. I think I'm going to try and replace the sparkplug, any other ideas as to why it might be doing this? I just changed the oil and the gas isn't contaminated with anything either.

thanks

Old 06-28-06, 12:03 PM
K
just changed the spark plug, no change...still dies when I use the hose

Old 06-28-06, 03:18 PM
K
yet another update (feel like I'm keeping a diary here )

I poured more oil into the other hole oil comes out of (not sure of the technical name) and it worked this time, except it would not keep pressure. I also found a little machined piece of metal, looks like it belongs somewhere but it was just sitting on the inside where the oil goes. Any idea what this is?

thanks

Old 06-28-06, 10:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
What hole are you talking about? The oil fill tube on the engine? On the pump?

Old 06-29-06, 07:53 PM
K
Originally Posted by cheese
What hole are you talking about? The oil fill tube on the engine? On the pump?
Well there are two places oil comes out of on this pressure washer, one unscrews and has a dip stick on it and the other takes a allen wrench to loosen the cap. I believe the cap that takes the allen wrench is what is supposed to be used to drain and change the oil, not the one with the dip stick...as that is only for measuring the level of oil (i assume).

Now the metal piece I found sitting inside the pump looks just like a flint, I almost wonder if it is a flint...but can't imagine why it would be in there. Here is a picture of what it looked like

- http://www.topai.co.jp/marvelous/img/ac/ac5.jpg

I'm still having problems with the pressure washer, it will run fine until I squeeze on the trigger of the sprayer...then it dies in a matter of seconds. I'm lost on this one..and I'd hate to pay $50+ an hour to have this fixed

Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-02-06, 06:34 AM
O
I"m only a novice on pumps, but any time you pull metal out of an oil chamber you have some serious issues. If you are assuming that the dipstick is to measure the level of oil, and you are not sure if it is on the engine or pump, then I would suggest that you bring this to a professional or someone with some mechanical knowledge, as it sounds like you are lacking in that area. I certainly don't want to sound rude, but working on engines, etc. does require some insight and basic understanding of mechanical applications.

Old 07-02-06, 05:49 PM
K
Originally Posted by oneacer
I"m only a novice on pumps, but any time you pull metal out of an oil chamber you have some serious issues. If you are assuming that the dipstick is to measure the level of oil, and you are not sure if it is on the engine or pump, then I would suggest that you bring this to a professional or someone with some mechanical knowledge, as it sounds like you are lacking in that area. I certainly don't want to sound rude, but working on engines, etc. does require some insight and basic understanding of mechanical applications.
It's for the engine, the manual that came with PW didn't mention anything about the pump oil, unless the oil I put in is used for both the engine and the pump.

I realize I am lacking in mechanical knowledge, but that's why I came here. I'm just hoping someone has had a similar problem and can help me out.

Old 07-02-06, 06:12 PM
Motor oil is never used in hydraulic pumps.
If thats what was used drain it out and use hydaulic fluid. Somewhere in there owners manual it will tell you the proper type and weight. Most likely in specifications or capacities

Old 07-02-06, 06:21 PM
K
Originally Posted by mikesmalleng
Motor oil is never used in hydraulic pumps.
If thats what was used drain it out and use hydaulic fluid. Somewhere in there owners manual it will tell you the proper type and weight. Most likely in specifications or capacities
hm, now that I look into it it does mention about the pump fluids. It just doesn't mention the engine oil. Would regular oil damage the pump if I used it? I ran it for a good hour using engine oil. How would I completely empty the pump of oil, or does it matter if there is a little in there? The owners manual doesn't give me any specifications on the pump fluid, I guess they want me to spend 2x the money buying it diretly from them or maybe they have some special type. What do you think I could use?

thanks

Old 07-02-06, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I've seen several pressure washer pumps that reccomended engine oil for fill. I don't know about yours. Call the manufacturer or email them and ask what type oil should be used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: