Sears Craftsman 2000 Lawn Tractor With Hydrostatic Transmission Problems

Old 07-01-06, 06:15 PM
Question Sears Craftsman 2000 Lawn Tractor With Hydrostatic Transmission Problems

We have a 2001 Sears Craftsman 2000 Lawn Tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. The engine starts, and seems to run fine. The problem is, the tractor will not go forward or in reverse and the front and back wheels do not or will not turn. Right before this happened a pop was heard in the engine. What could be causing this? Is it repairable?

Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-06, 07:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't know much about transmissions as I repair the engines and carbs. Does this trains have a belt drive.See if theres a pully on or near the axle.Turn it if possible and see if the unit moves forward are backwards(put it in nutreal first.)If no pullys or the belt is still there maby you broke a gear.

Old 07-01-06, 08:18 PM
Post Re: Sears Craftsman 2000 Lawn Tractor With Hydrostatic Transmission Problem

Hi lexmarks567:

It is a hydrostatic transmission and has no belts or chains.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

Old 07-01-06, 08:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this a manual or automatic trainsmission. If manual Than I guess its the clutch that broke I don't know just trying to help I don't do trainsmission work.

Old 07-01-06, 09:09 PM
Post Re: Sears Craftsman 2000 Lawn Tractor With Hydrostatic Transmission Problem

Hi lexmarks567:

It has an automatic transmission.

Thank you again for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

Old 07-02-06, 12:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It does have a belt. Most likely, the belt has come off or broken. Have a look underneath and see if the belt is on all pulleys and tight.

Old 07-02-06, 04:51 PM
Question Re: Sears Craftsman 2000 Lawn Tractor With Hydrostatic Transmission Problem

Hi Cheese:

We tried to locate the transmission pulley in our owners manual with no luck. Having said that, could you tell us which belt needs replaced, how to go about replacing it, and where exactly the pulley is located on the tractor?

Thank you again for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

Old 07-02-06, 05:24 PM
nap
What is the model number? I think we can find online a blow up of the parts manual if we have that.

Sears usually uses a long number often started with a 3 digit number followed by a decimal.

Old 07-02-06, 06:24 PM
Remove the back plate where you see the hitch. This will expose the transmission pulley. (this plate also works as a belt guard), Try and turn the pulley while in gear. If this can be done, you may have an internal Trans, problem.
Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-02-06, 06:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This one is a hydro, so you should be able to turn the pulley whether it's in gear or not. I think you're thinking of a standard tranny Mike.

You can go to www3.sears.com and type in your model number (found on a sticker under the seat area and starts with 917.) and view the diagram and part numbers for the trans belt. There should be a lower belt you can see easily that goes to the blades. You can see where it goes on the engine pulley. Look on the engine pulley above the blade belt. There is another pulley higher up (you'll have to get close to the ground to see it up there). This pulley has the transmission drive belt on it. Follow it from the engine, to the idler pulleys, and to the tranny pulley. I would bet it's off one of these pulleys. My bet is it's off the tranny pulley. If it got wedged under the tranny pulley, it can be hard to get back out. Sometimes accessing it through the hole where the battery box is will help aid in getting the belt off. (IF you have a model with the battery under the seat rather than under the hood). Check the cooling fan on the tranny too. Sometimes they get damaged when the belt comes off.

Last edited by cheese; 07-02-06 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 07:52 AM
As others have suggested, the problem most likely lies in the link between the engine pulley and the transmission pulley. Could be the belt or belt idler pulley. I'm putting my money on the idler pulley.

Old 07-03-06, 03:23 PM
Question Re: Sears Craftsman 2000 Lawn Tractor With Hydrostatic Transmission Problem

Hi Mike:

I wanted to thank you for all of your help. With your direction, we were able to fix the tractor. As you said, it was not all that easy. Do you, or did you own this same model tractor?

I have one more questiom that maybe you could answer?

On the right side where the pedals are it gets very hot. Do you know of anything that could be put there to reduce the heat that is being felt on the feet and legs. I hope this question makes sense.

David

Originally Posted by cheese
This one is a hydro, so you should be able to turn the pulley whether it's in gear or not. I think you're thinking of a standard tranny Mike.

You can go to www3.sears.com and type in your model number (found on a sticker under the seat area and starts with 917.) and view the diagram and part numbers for the trans belt. There should be a lower belt you can see easily that goes to the blades. You can see where it goes on the engine pulley. Look on the engine pulley above the blade belt. There is another pulley higher up (you'll have to get close to the ground to see it up there). This pulley has the transmission drive belt on it. Follow it from the engine, to the idler pulleys, and to the tranny pulley. I would bet it's off one of these pulleys. My bet is it's off the tranny pulley. If it got wedged under the tranny pulley, it can be hard to get back out. Sometimes accessing it through the hole where the battery box is will help aid in getting the belt off. (IF you have a model with the battery under the seat rather than under the hood). Check the cooling fan on the tranny too. Sometimes they get damaged when the belt comes off.

Old 07-04-06, 01:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you asking me? (I'm not Mike, but you quoted my response).

Was the belt wedged under the pulley on the tranny? If so, it may happen again, due either to a bad/worn belt, or belt guides that need adjusting.

No, I don't have this mower, but I run a small engine repair shop and have seen several of these. I also used to be contracted by Sears to do their warranty work, and I worked on mowers like yours very often.

As for the heat on the pedal side, I'm guessing you have a twin cylinder engine? If so, or in any case, check the muffler. If it is blown out or the outlet pipe has rusted off, it could be directing hot exhaust in that direction.

Search this Thread