sears tractor part unavailable

Old 07-03-06, 10:03 AM
sears tractor part unavailable

I have a Craftsman 15 HP twin cylinder all-wheel steer 43" mower and 6 speed transaxle tractor. The model # is
Here is my problem. The rear wheels turn and is connected to the front via a Rod assembly drag link. In the rear the rod is held by a bolt that screws in upside down. The bolt has a little piece of nylon that is in the thread, which gets squeezed in. They don't sell this bolt anymore. On page 46 and 47 of the manual, it is part # 12319 Bolt. 562X HHSH 3/8-24
iF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE TO GET THIS PART I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. It is hard to work on this bolt, in the past I thought of drilling and pinning. I put my own piece of nylon and lock tite and it has held up for 1 1/2 years. It fell out ahgain and can't find it.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-06, 06:23 PM
Try

http://www3.sears.com

Enter your mower number and go from there. I'm sure they offer a replacement under an updated parts number.

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 07-04-06, 09:05 PM
tried

tried and called, no replacement. apparently part was from Murray. Hope someone else can help.
Bless you

Old 07-04-06, 09:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
try this sit it should hewlp you with finding murray parts since briggs and stratton took murray over and it tells about that it tells you where to go who to call and what to try.

http://www.murray.com/find_briggs_engine_203.asp

Old 07-05-06, 12:02 AM
On the Model # the 536 indicates the Mower was manufactured by Murray.

That type of lock nut may be able to be matched up at a hardware store.

Old 07-05-06, 07:48 AM
The part # you gave tells me that it was a 3/8" dia fine thread bolt (24 threads per inch) but not the length. The patch of nylon on it makes it a little special, but still something any good auto parts store or hardware store could order for you if you know the length. What I'm saying is that there isn't anything so special about this that you HAVE to get it from Sears. These kinds of bolts are used elsewhere in industry. You can also try www.mcmastercarr.com and search for "nylon locking machine screw"

Old 07-05-06, 11:54 AM
tried

Thanks Joe, tried that link, they have similar bolts but not in the right size. I saw 3/8-16 and not 3/8-24. Thread lenght about 11/16, shoulder diam. .562, shoulder length is .340 if it has a washer built in or .5 length and I'll add the washer. I am going to visit a Murray shop this week to see if they have something. Otherwise I might go to a machine shop and make something.

Old 07-06-06, 09:40 AM
with threads of 3/8" dia and a shoulder of .562 (9/16" dia) you are looking for what's called a "shoulder bolt". That is a little more special, but should still be available from McMaster or elsewhere. May not be able to find one with the locking nylon patch on it, but locktite or some other thread locker should get you back up and running.

Old 07-07-06, 03:02 PM
Thanks Joe

A friend got me a 3/8 bolt with 24 threads per inch. I cut a bushing and turned it on the lathe to fit over (to make a shoulder). My other friend is cutting a key way with his milling machine. I aslo plan to drill a hole and put a pin in so it does not fall out. Hopefully that will work. Thanks for your input friend.