Toro CCR Powerlite 3hp Carburetor

Old 07-03-06, 10:33 AM
S
sod
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toro CCR Powerlite 3hp Carburetor

Today I bought a Toro CCR Powerlite 3hp snowblower for my son's new place. I got it home and could get it to start only with carburetor fluid. So I took the nut and float bowl off and both showed sign of varnish, as did the the float. So they all are now soaking in carb cleaner and will do so overnight.

Here is my problem. When I took off the float and inlet needle I was not able to see how the needle clip attached to the float. I was too focused on the float spring damper and didn't (or couldn't) get a good look at the way the needle clip attached to the float arm. So now I'm not sure how to attach the needle clip to the float arm. Can someone please explain the way it attaches. Better yet a picture would be worth a thousand words.

The blower model # is 38170, and serial # is 2007304. According to the online Toro part lookup that would make it a 1992 model.

Thanks for the help. I know, I should pay more attention. I promise next time I will.

Old 07-03-06, 12:48 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Go back to the toro.com web site when you enter your model/serial then you can search for parts at the bottom of the screen, then click on the carb assembly, you can see the float spring on the right I think it was part #22 and it's position on the float pin. Have a noice day. Geo

Old 07-03-06, 01:04 PM
S
sod
Been there done that

Problem is that I am trying to attach part #3 (needle clip) to part #5 (float) and I want to know the proper way to assembly the two parts so that the needle works properly with the float. I think I remember how part #22 (damper spring) goes back on. Thanks

Old 07-03-06, 06:29 PM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
carb

The needle clip just goes over the tab on the float and it should point to the intake side of the carb. The float should be set at 11/64 from float to carb body on the side opposite of the pin. Click the link to see.

AJ

Last edited by aj-allen; 07-03-06 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 07:34 PM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
img

Old 07-03-06, 08:28 PM
S
sod
Thanks AJ, very useful pics

I can't pick up the new needle kit and gaskets until Wednesday. I will let you and the board know how the repair goes. Have a great 4th.

Old 07-04-06, 01:42 PM
S
sod
Now what

Just back from the garage and have finished cleaning the carb on the 3hp Toro Powerlite snowblower, at least the bowl, float and needle.......and every orifice I could find. I also took off the muffler and cleaned the exhaust ports yesterday.

Things look pretty good so I thought what the heck lets put it back together and see if it will start. No luck

Two things: 1) now it won't start even with carb cleaner where before it would fire and kill right away, and 2) I noticed gas coming from the exhaust when I tried to start it.

I still plan on getting a new needle, seat and gasket for the blow and the bolt. But I'm beginning to think I am wasting my time (and money) trying to get this thing running. What does everybody think and what else should I be looking at? Thanks

Old 07-04-06, 02:54 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Don't give up, we all have to redo things.

Redo the float and needle assembly. It's probably not working like it should. Before you put on the bowl run gasoline through the the needle assembly and put a lite pressure up on the float to see if it shuts off the fuel flow. The float should be about level with the top of the float bowl.

The reason it didn't start like it did before is the carb cleaner was the only fuel it had to fire on. With the malfunction of the float/needle it let in too much fuel and flooded the engine.

After you get the float working and the carb assembled, take out the plug, open the throttle and spin the engine over about ten times and go through the startup procedure again.

Hope this helps

Old 07-04-06, 03:16 PM
S
sod
Thanks Marbobj

At this point I need all the encouragement and advice I can get. I have showered and cleaned-up since my last post and I know have a big case of the "DIYer proving my manhood" motivation. I am going to get this damm thing running come hell or high water. Hey Mr. 2-cycle engine ( and carb) get ready for some DIY kick-ass.

Old 07-04-06, 08:18 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
That 2cy 3hp has done met its match !!!

Good luck!!!

Old 11-19-11, 11:39 AM
D
carb

The first time I ever cleaned the carb I blew air through the fuel inlet and blew the rubber seat out and never knew it. I continued to clean the carb and re-assembled the carb. I tried to start it and it would not fire and fuel was coming oyut the exhaust, I mean shooting out. The carb float was not shutting off fuel supply because the seat was missing and the neddle would not seat so it just continued to flow. I took it apart again because I knew I had seat problems. Just take the needle and insert it into the inlet and if itr goes way up in further than it should than you know your seat fell out. I know this thread is years old but someone else may do the same mistake I did,,,by the way, mine runs perfect now,,,,YEA boy!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: