new flywheel for Tecumseh engine

Old 07-04-06, 11:09 AM
new flywheel for Tecumseh engine

I took a Tecumseh 4.5 horse (TVS115-57024B) off of a lawmower and moved it to a rototiller. It is a bear to start due to backfiring and popping.... It runs fine, I had just bought a bigger better lawnmover and wanted to salvage the rototiller by reusing the Tecumseh engine.
My thoughts are in moving it to the new appliance there is fundemantally no flywheel since there is not a big blade swinging around.
My desire is to replace the aluminum flywheel with something much heavier. Can't seem to find anything on the net other than one OEM part which I would expect to be the same light aluminum flywheel.
Does anyone know the Tecumseh product line well enough to recomend a heavier (steel?) flywheel for this model engine?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-06, 05:26 PM
coffde,

These engine are spicific to the job they were intended to be doing which you already know. One fly wheel is a bit different than the other in terms of weight and ignition timing and this will be your problem. I don't think you will have any luck locating a heavier flywheel with the correct timing and shaft diameter for this engine however, you can find a local Tecumseh dealer and plug your engine numbers with him and see what happens.... To buy a new flywheel would cost one half to two thirds the cost of a new engine which is simply not worth it. I wish you the best of success!

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 07-05-06, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure about your particular engine, but several similar engines are equipped with cast iron flywheels for use on tillers, edgers, pressure washers, wheeled trimmers (like the DR trimmer), and go karts. You might find the equivalent flywheel on one of these engines at a local small engine shop in their junk/parts pile.

Old 07-05-06, 01:07 AM
I agree with the Cheese ,

Search the junk bends of our great states or spend a good part of your wages on a Tecumseh cast iron fly wheel! This is what I meant of pluging numbers with your local Tecumseh dealer... You'll find out that used is cheaper than new unless you're doing the hunting in the heat, if you can find a good hunting ground.......

God Bless,
Dave237