Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

gas trimmer

07-04-06, 07:24 PM   #1  
gas trimmer

i have a weedeater LT7000 gas trimmer. the engine runs fine but the head will only turn if the trimmer is oriented in a certain direction. i took the head off and pulled the cord and the screw at the end of the shaft only turned occasionally (depending on the orientation). the flywheel (?) turns fine. does this sound like the flex drive? the shaft?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-05-06, 12:21 AM   #2  
Hello jft,

Sounds to me like the problem is that the boom has slid away from the engine a bit. The flex cable in the boom has a square drive end on both ends that fit into square sockets in the clutch (or crankshaft if not equipped with a clutch) and in the end of the shaft at the trimmer head. If the boom slips away from the engine enough, the cable will slip out of the sockets it fits in, and not turn as it should. Usually you can loosen the clamp screw(s) near the engine, slide the boom toward the engine while rotating the head until you feel the flex cable line up and slip in place, then tighten the clamp screws.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-05-06, 05:09 PM   #3  
thanks for the advice. i have to replace the boom anyway because i irreversibly stripped the threads on the head trying to figure out how to get into the end of the boom. a lesson learned on my first trip inside the workings of a gas trimmer. i'm sure i'll be back with more questions as i break more parts. great forum, thanks for everything!

Search this Thread