Can this be fixed?? (bad governor)

Old 07-05-06, 09:51 AM
Unhappy Can this be fixed?? (bad governor)

After doing a static governor test on my 20hp B&S Intek Model 407777 I figured out that the governor was bad. So today I pulled the engine and removed the sump expecting to find the broken gear but instead this is what I found see pick I showed this pic to a couple places around town and was told to throw the engine away. Can anyone hear give me any other ideals? PLEASE.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 02:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've never seen that kind of governer before. Whats missing might I ask. the gear.Did they say if it could be fixed. If its missing the grear and the bolt hole is broken (im guessing thats what it is) It could be fixed but you would have to weld a repair by reshaping the hole and then tapping it(making new threads).If what I said makes sense to you I would toss it to. Its WAY to much work and if you don't have a welder or know how to weld your out of luck.

Originally Posted by MrFox
After doing a static governor test on my 20hp B&S Intek Model 407777 I figured out that the governor was bad. So today I pulled the engine and removed the sump expecting to find the broken gear but instead this is what I found see pick I showed this pic to a couple places around town and was told to throw the engine away. Can anyone hear give me any other ideals? PLEASE.

Old 07-05-06, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
What do you use the engine for? Is the engine running fine except for the lack of a govenor?

You could add a tachometer (electronic ones are very cheap) and you could take over the govenor's job and control the engine manually. My racing motors run fine without govenors. They have nice stable idles and are very controllable through their power range. As you would expect this works best where you have a relativley stable or slowly changing load on the engine. You are the govenor so a momentary lapse of judgement could result in engine parts flying through the air and bodily injury.

Old 07-05-06, 08:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could take it to a machine shop and let them weld the boss back together and re-machine the hole. That's about the only thing I can think of. The machine shop will probably want the block stripped down, which would be best anyway since metal shavings and weld spatter will get in the engine during the repair. Other than this, I'd look into getting a shortblock.

One thing to think about and check: I've never seen an engine take this kind of failure without another problem, which caused this failure as a result. Usually something gets in the cam gear or governor gear, and pushes the governor away from the cam when the foreign object interferes with the proper meshing of the gears. I've also seen this in engines that threw a rod. Looks like this engine may have been into before. Did it throw a rod sometime in the past? If so, it may have cracked/weakened the spot then and taken until now for it to spread out enough to cause a problem.

Old 07-06-06, 12:16 AM
I agree with Cheese. Noticing the sealant on the sump gasket surface it looks like it has been disassmebled for some reason before. You may just be better off buy a new short block.

Old 07-06-06, 05:14 AM
Arrow The rest of the story

I finished putting the engine back together yesterday and mowed my yard. Going with Pilot Dane suggestion I put a long spring on the governor arm and moved the linkage springs and I now have a manual throttle mower.
This engine is on a 42Ē Poulan Pro that I bought used for $400.00. I recently bought this mower used, and it seemed like a good deal at the time. The guy told me that the throttle wasnít working correctly, but I figured there was just something wrong with the linkage or a broken governor gear at worst. Something I could fix for a $100 or so.
I do not have the knowhow to fully dissemble the block and take it to a machine shop, even if I bought the block new $298.00 I would not know how to rebuild it and it would probably end up in parts in a box. I think that Iíll just run it like it is. I will get a tachometer like Pilot Dane said. I hate to loose a leg mowing my yard.
I agree with Cheese someone had been in the bottom of the engine before. I think that the guy who sold it to me know because not all of the gear parts were in the sump just one little peace. No gear, no shaft, just one site of the governor. Someone had to have taken the broken parts out.
BTW Pilot I have a nice 20hp racing engine that I would trade to for a nice ??hp mowing engine LOL
Thanks for your input everyone, and thanks to all the other people that post in this forum. Before coming here I didnít even know what a static governor test was.

Old 07-06-06, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Holly Cow!!! He actually took my suggestion!!! I've got to be more careful with what I type.

Old 07-07-06, 12:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Haha! (@ Pilot Dane)

Just be careful! You get that engine turning 5000 rpms and something breaks loose, it could be a little less than fun.