john Deere jx75 self propelled

Old 07-05-06, 12:22 PM
70chevelless
Visiting Guest
john Deere jx75 self propelled

Hi
I have a John Deere jx75 self propelled lawn mower. I bought her new in 1999. This year the cable broke that powers the wheels. I bought a new cable from the John Deere place. I put that on and the belt started coming off the pulley. So I went and bought a new belt thinking the old one was stretched. I put that on and did exactly what the book said for tightening the new belt. That it should not rotate the pulley when the bar is released. Well now every time I mow the lawn the belt come off the pulley I can just about put it back on. I have tried tightening the cable but I'm to the end of the threads. I have no idea what I can do & our lawn is all hill. If anyone can tell me of a solution or if they had this problem and found a fix I would appreciate any advice. One other thing I checked both pulleys to make sure they were lined up and they are. Thank You!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You said they're lined up. By that, do you mean they are both level, not tilted, and both on the same plane? The belt doesn't go upward or downwards at all from one pulley to the next? Usually the problem is that the tranny pulley isn't level. It usually is tilted down toward the engine, allowing the belt to ride off of it.

Old 07-06-06, 08:12 PM
70chevelless
Visiting Guest
What I will have to do is take a straight edge and check that! Today I tried loosening the cable a little more. She seemed to do fine as I had the back wheels off the floor. What I found first was that when I let go of the drive bar the belt would jump of. So as I was saying I loosened the cable a little and she was fine. Until 10 min. into cutting the grass I loss the drive. This time when I checked it the belt went under the pulley as if it jumped off from the back or under the pulley. It tore the belt so know I have to get a new one. I can't figure it out as I have done what the book said!.