Ignition parts names?? & no spark.

Old 07-05-06, 02:46 PM
Question Ignition parts names?? & no spark.

Talking about a Husky 42.
First, what is the name of the ignition "pick-up" that sits next to the flywheel? And, what is the name of the other ignition unit connected by wire to that "pick-up" and has the spark plug wire and boot leading out of it?
Should there be continuity between the boot/plug end and the wire connector or ground on that "second" unit?
Otherwise, how do I determine which part is responsible for the lack of spark?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 08:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Huskee, or Husquvarna? What make and model engine? It sounds as though you're describing two components that are usually one and the same on most engines (armature and coil). We don't know exactly what you have without more info, since different engines are arranged differently with different components.

Old 07-07-06, 04:02 PM
It's a Husquvarna 42 Special; a hot saw with 15,000+ rpms.

Old 07-07-06, 05:38 PM
You'll have to be very specific on the model along with date of manufacture.

Go to www.husqvarna.com, then customer support in chainsaws. It shows you how to identify the date of manufacture and all the pertinent information to get to an IPL (illustrated parts list).

That will give the names you need to work with.

Hope this helps

Old 07-07-06, 05:49 PM
I have the parts list and diagram with part numbers; I just don't what those two parts are called/named - magnito? coil? ignition module? magnetic pickup? Thanks.

Old 07-07-06, 06:21 PM
I looked at the 41 model which showed the ignition assembly to be much as Cheese described it - one component. The coil and pickup combination in that parts list would be the ignition module. The only other component in the system was the switch. The whole assembly is pretty common in most chainsaws. I'm not finding the pickup assembly being different from the coil as you've described.

Sometimes semantics differ by region. The magneto terminology is what we always called the entire assembly to include coil/pickup as well as the magnets mounted in the flywheel.

The setup you've described is very close to automotive with the separate components.

Do you know the date of manufacture of your saw? Maybe if we looked at some of the others of that vintage we would find a similar ignition system.

Hope this helps

Last edited by marbobj; 07-07-06 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-08-06, 12:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Heh...I saw husky 42 and thought we were talking about a huskee or husquvarna 42 inch riding mower. Details make all the difference. On all the husquvarna saws I have seen have a coil/armature assembly that contains all the primary ignition components.

Old 07-08-06, 02:44 PM
Hanalance:

I know you're working on the no spark issue. I looked through what is available on line in the way of IPLs and haven't found anything different than a conventional chainsaw system.

Based on your description I am sure the component you have next to the flywheel is the magnetic pickup and the other which contains the coil and plugwire is the probably being referred to as the ignition module.

There would be continuity between the plugwire and the wire connection coming over from the pickup. This is the secondary/primary winding circuit. However the significant reading on this would be a resistance value as opposed to just a continuity. I don't know what the spec for yours would be, but Dave237 gets into those things so maybe he can help you out there. Keep in mind the operating temperature of a coil will change the resistance value of a coil. One that checks OK when cold may actually be defective.

From experience with automotive systems and chainsaws I would say the pickup is less likely to be at fault than the coil in the module. It simply has less to do and the hot stuff occurs in the coil.

The ground wire you have is the grounding for the kill. The circuit runs from module to kill switch to ground. Its continuity to anywhere would only depend on the position of the kill switch which would take it back to the coil/module.

Hope this helps

Old 07-12-06, 02:29 PM
Exclamation

Thanks marbobj! Magnetic pickup and ignition module sounds right. Also, your comment on "continuity": that explains why there was none.
Meanwhile, the no spark problem turned out to be the only BRAND NEW part - the kill switch! It has continuity in both positions. Go figure?

Old 07-12-06, 06:01 PM
That's great!! Glad you got it going again.

Later