bolens 1050 generator/starter

Old 07-06-06, 08:00 PM
bolens 1050 generator/starter

My bolens 1050 has a generator that does double duty as a starter. Bottom line is that the armature is burnt and I don't want to put the $ in to fix it. So, since the motor starts fairly easy I thought I'd just use a rope and pull it by hand. Here's my question...do I need to keep the battery connected? Does the key need to be in the on position to start it and shut it off? Right now the generator is not on the motor. Where do I put the cable from the battery? Is there any other wiring changes that need to be made? Thanks.

Dick

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-06, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What engine is on it? Does it have an automotive type coil? Does it have an electric pto?

Old 07-07-06, 08:00 PM
It's on a Wisconsin engine, model TRA10D. It has an automotive type coil and does not have an electronic PTO.

Thanks.

Old 07-08-06, 12:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're going to have to keep the battery connected for the ignition system to work. Check out starter/generators on ebay. That starter/generator is probably not specific to that engine or mower. I bet it's just an AC delco. Very common and cheap.

Old 07-09-06, 06:55 PM
Since I won't be using the generator will I need to keep the battery charged or does the battery just have to be there to complete the circuit?

Old 07-10-06, 01:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It will have to be charged for the ignition to work.

Old 10-02-06, 07:22 PM
Do you know if I'll need one that turns CW or CCW. I'm not near the engine so I can't check for myself.

So as long as it turns the correct way, is a 12 volt unit, has two terminals to connect to power and the correct size engine mounts...I should be OK, right? I've seen quite a few delco remy units on ebay. Mostly for cub cadet. When I ask the seller if it will work on my bolens they say no. Can you please clarify? Thanks.

Dick

Old 10-02-06, 11:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If yours is a 12 volt system, then I would guess you would be ok as long as it mounts up and is the correct rotation. Which way does your engine turn? I imagine it is clockwise as I don't recall any turning the other way. Even if different, you may be able to use the internals to repair yours.

Old 10-03-06, 06:59 PM
Do you have a shop close by that repairs electric motors?? I have Golf Cart start/gens repaired for about 80 bucks. Check the yellow pages & ask for an estimate on a repair. May only need a brush kit?? Good luck, Roger