Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

what idiot designs these things???????

07-06-06, 08:03 PM   #1  
what idiot designs these things???????

why dont women design tools? just kidding -my standing joke is always must of been a man that designed this. i have a craftsman gas powered trimmer. first of all whats with the 40 to 1 mixture or 32 to 1. why make it so complicated. just say 3 ounces to a gallon or whatever. and by all means get it right or the piece of --- will never start. ok heres the good problem. inside the tank the is a filter attached to a piece of tubing. ok how long do you think that tubing lasts before it gets brittle and breaks off. so, after dumping the gas out for the who knows how many times now you have to get the filter out. ok got filter out theres no way in hell to get it put back on. if it was meant to put back on then why not make the hole big enough to get at least 2 fingers down in there. do you think sears can help you. oh, no parts in store. not even a new tank with one already in it. why not make a tank that comes apart. no thats to easy. ok, i've vented...things like this are so irritating. ok let's hear it am i missing something so easy ???????????
more like crapsman.

Sponsored Links

07-06-06, 09:23 PM   #2  
The mix ratio really isn't all that complicated. Just get the small bottles that = 1 gallon. So pour one little bottle in gas can then fill with gas, easy huh. If fingers are too small to get in an opening (not sure exactually what your trying to do) then perhaps a pair of needle nose pliers or similar can reach it for you. I am sure there is a way to effect the repair but takes a woman to complain about it and a man to actually fix it. Oh wait that is one of my "standing jokes" lol seriously I am not a fan of craftsman tools. If you want a weed eater that wont break on you get a Shindaiwa.

AL

07-06-06, 09:37 PM   #3  
You go girl,lol.Hay I reseamble that remark.But that's ok I've hated craftsman for most of my life myself.But talking about those feul lines......there all that way,if they wasn't s snug fit they would leak.that's where s good pair of forceps comes in handy.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-07-06, 12:34 AM   #4  
To put the fuel filter on, you feed the new fuel line through the tank until it comes out the tank opening, put the filter on it, and pull the line back through. Craftsman products are generally decent values, but I am also not a big fan of their 2-cycle equipment.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MO

07-07-06, 09:33 AM   #5  
I think most Craftsman 2 cycle are Poulan, anyway, when trying to feed the new fuel line(you need new fuel line) cut a long thin angle on the fuel line(wedge shaped) feed this point thru the tank, now grasp the point with some needle nose pliers, pull it thru until you have enough fuel line exposed to trim off square and attach the filter/pickup then pull the fuel line back until the filter/pickup is back in the tank leaving enough fuel line in the tank so the filter/pickup can pick up fuel when the tank is at any angle. If the hole in the tank is such that you cannot see the hole thru the filler hole attach some fishing line to the wedge with a good knot(you might want to get a guy to do this for you)(JUST KIDDING) now attach a small nail or some type of weight that will go thru the fuel line hole, drop the line thru the hole and shake the tank until you have access to the line thru the filler hole, now pull the fuel line into the tank, while holding the line slide the needle nose down the fishline to the fuel line, now using the pliers pull the fuel line thru. If I missed a step you should be able to figure it out. Have a nice day. Geo

TX

07-07-06, 02:29 PM   #6  
Sometimes the needle nose pliers slip off the fuel line in the tank,go to acadamy and go to the fishing equip. and get those needle nose pliers they use to take fish hooks out of fish,they have locking pliers that won't slip off.

Jerry

07-07-06, 02:41 PM   #7  
thanks for the craftsman replys but....

ok guys give me some credit-just cause i am a woman-i tryed the forcepts, needle nose plyers, i am an optician so i have all kinds of crafty little tools but i'm telling you the position of this hole-you'd need rubber fingers. and its not like i'm trying to put the end of tubbings over something-the is just a hole about the diameter of a fat toothpick. ok one of you guts said run the tubeing through the tank and into the tank-so you are saying that i need to actually take the tank off and run it from the outside into the inside, which actually sounds about like the only way. if i thought the thing would run without this filter, i was to the point yesterday of almost grabbing a glue stick and dabbing that damn hole closed. 3 digit weather doesnt help matters, and i'm sure i provide my neighbor over the fence some pretty good audio entertainment. so, outta tank into tank guy if you happen to read this elaborate a little more into detail for me-remember im just a women. hey these smiles(ICONS) dont work for me either thanks MEN. JUST THE BOTTOM ONES MAYBE

Last edited by moesgurlie; 07-07-06 at 02:50 PM. Reason: WANTED THIS AS NEW THREAD NOT REPLY

MO

07-07-06, 03:08 PM   #8  
moesgirlie
Re read my previous post, go from the outside in and use the fishing line, you shouldn't have to take the tank off, but if you do then take it off----you go girl, this ain't no hill for a climber. Oh, and have a nice day. Geo

07-07-06, 07:13 PM   #9  
ok guys i got the tank off

george, george, george.....i just went ahead and took the tank off, hex screws and all, thats a whole other "man thing topic"
anyway its better i took it off now im not freaked out worrying about if there was a black widow close by. but....now that i have it off and can get a closer look at the thing...guess what theres not just one hole theres two. it figures. so... on the crapsman there are two pieces of tubing about 1 1/2 in long one bigger in dia. than the other . im not going to take those pieces of tubing off , no,no,no i'll get an addaptor and add new tubing to old. that would be simple and i would be all done, except what the heck is this smaller one for, i dont know if i can even find something small enough to connect to that to add on. and even if i did what goes on the end of it inside the tank??
dont tell me it has to do with whatever that black plastic piece thats just loose in the tank. looks like it does nothing, i was hoping i could just ignore it. today i havent let it get the best of me...i'll either get this thing fixed, or i'll ship it straight to crapsman with what ever my dogs are hiding out there in that tall grass. he-he

07-07-06, 10:46 PM   #10  
The hose with the filter on it is the supply line. It goes to the lil' yellow/orange plastic bulb that you push to prime the carb. The other line is a return line for excess gas that pushing the bulb creates. Sometimes the supply line gets old or soft and collapses causing a no fuel problem, or maybe gets a sharp kink in it causing same problem. Use a piece of wire with a sharp bend in the end to fish the filter out the tank and replace or spray it good with carb cleaner, blow dry whith compressed air and reuse. Be carful and don't get carb cleaner in your eyes, bad stuff. Could the black plastic thingy be what keeps your gas cap from getting lost. You should be able to fold it up and pull it from the tank. Hope this helps. Jerbear

07-07-06, 10:47 PM   #11  
OK, Let`s not chase her off the site, this is getting interesting.

Is the primer separate from the carburetor?
if so:
The fuel line goes directly to the carb, the other line coming from the carb, goes to the small nipple on the primer, the line from the long nipple goes to the tank.

On carb, primer: The fuel line (with the filter) connects to furthest from the primer and the return line connects closest to the primer. or: if the inlet and outlet on the carb, is side by side, the supply line connects to the curved one, the return connects to the straight one

Last edited by mikesmalleng; 07-07-06 at 11:03 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-08-06, 12:24 AM   #12  
By the way, don't try to connect the old line to the new. The old line is rotten, and that's why you're having to do this in the first place. You don't want to do all this, and then have the old line break again. This isn't just the way craftsman is made. Changing fuel lines on most any trimmer can be a pain in the rear.

God bless!

07-09-06, 12:24 AM   #13  
semi-conclusion on the crapsman

well you guys thanks for all your help. hate to say it-but i ended up taking the ol crapsman into the repair shop today. yes- to a man. dont ya just love it. but i stayed right there with him and watched so next time i know myself. everything was going along real good- he put that new tubing on in no time and actually did it like i would of.....but next thing i knew as soon as i turned my back and was getting hot tamales out of the candy machine he says "hey you didnt take these screws out did ya"
you remember my hex screws i was bragging or complaining about--i said " ya i did to get the tank off, (who can guess where this is going) he said" all 4 screws?? yes. he said" oh well this isn't going to work because you shouldn't of taken 2 of them off cause now you broke the seal on the gasket, see theres dirt in there now. now it has to be taken apart and cleaned. so i had to leave it there. now i wonder whats its going to cost? maybe one of you guys should design a disposable one, you know real cheap use it 15 times or so and toss it like a cig lighter. my idea though, gotta count me in. and while you are at design a foot mop. well now that i have found this site i'll be bugging you guys from time to time. like what do you think kills weeds and yucky grass better round up or disel?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-09-06, 12:35 AM   #14  
Hehe...that pretty much is a disposable one. Use it maybe 3 to 5 years and toss it. If you get more service than that, you're doing good, or getting it fixed.

2-4-D works well at killing weeds but not the grass. I've used it several times. I wouldn't use diesel. Diesel is illegal to use and bad for the environment, but I imagine it works well . I have heard Atrazine (spelling?) works well for weeds to, and I bought some but haven't tried it yet.

God bless!

07-15-06, 09:31 AM   #15  
picking up the crapsman

well guys today i go pick up the crapsman- ready for the cost? 31.95- do you think that is good or did i get ripped? new tubes, filter on end of tube, new gasket, sealed and cleaned. let me know, i trust you MENS judgement.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

07-15-06, 09:42 AM   #16  
About a third of the cost of a similar replacement. Sounds like a deal to me.

MO

07-15-06, 09:55 AM   #17  
Sound like you got a pretty good deal, must have been something in your personality(lol). Have a good one. Geo

07-15-06, 10:42 AM   #18  
hey geogrubb

are you a motorcycle guy? i'm debating on buying a bike. i won't go into details unless maybe you are.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

07-15-06, 01:40 PM   #19  
Not a "motorcycle guy" but I ride a VTX 1300 R. Post on the M/C forum and I'll tell you more - if interested.

MO

07-15-06, 04:38 PM   #20  
Moesgurlie;
I used to be into bikes, got 7 tickets at one time from 2 different municipalities, sold my 3 bikes and decided I should become a hermit and go live in a cave. Somehow I survived and didn't get to the cave and that was a long , long time ago. However, most things don't change much. It is/was Harley to impress, Honda for value and Bultaco for dirt. Oh, and have a nice day. Geo

07-15-06, 09:29 PM   #21  
hey geogrubb

montessa when i was young dirt bike. im thinking about buying a vulcan 2000. you know a cruiser. its pretty big and heavy. my brothers selling it to buy a new H.D. (you know $100 here $100 there) anyway i rode the bike and that was fine. actually it was very easy riding and stopping but it's the non riding that i keep thinking about, you know like moving it around because it's so heavy. i don't know i'm wishy washy about it-even day its oh yea cool. odd day its is this stupid. so what do you think. i see these little bitty gals riding big bikes. i'm 5'9" 140 lbs. and i'm no spring chicken-i'm a very young 52. oh yea, buy the way crapsman runs like a champ. it's just always hard for me to tell when it's time to beat that thing on the ground for more line. i always end up shutting it off, and of course have you ever gone thru a whole spool without it getting tangeled. ya pull, pull pull, and end up having to open it up. now if a woman.....hehehehe
just had to say it george. so where do you live george that you couldnt find a cave? must not be Gotham. well gotta go to store. later

MO

07-16-06, 05:51 PM   #22  
moesgurlie
I sent you a private message since they like to keep the forum to fixing small engines. Isn't a Montessa a Bultaco model? Have a nice day. Geo

Search this Thread