Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Best Tractor Under $1500

07-07-06, 08:27 AM   #1  
Best Tractor Under $1500

Quality-wise, who makes the best tractor in this price range?

I have a simple, flat, half acre lot to cut. I don't plan on doing anything else than cutting with it. I may mulch or bag........I haven't decided yet.

I see some Toros at Home Depot, Deeres at Lowes, and craftsmans at Sears.

I also see some cheaper MTD brands, but everyone seems to say they are no good.

Anyone have some input?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

07-07-06, 08:43 AM   #2  
Level, smooth, no frost heaves etc. - you could go for cheap and it will probably last a long time.
My acre+ reduced a Murray to scrap in about four years. I've got several steep hilly areas , old mole tunnels, etc. which make for a bouncy ride to say the least. My current ride is a Deere LT-160 which is still going strong after six years. That's a step up from the big box store models and may be more than you want to spend. Pay attention to construction, not horsepower. A cast front end and welded steel frame model will outlast the sheet metal some use. They all have ample horsepower for your application.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-08-06, 01:12 AM   #3  
This is one of those questions that gets all kinds of replies. My usual response is that I personally find that you get pretty good odds on your dollar (dollars versus years of service) with a craftsman or other AYP product. This is my opinion, and I'm sure others have had success with every other brand name out there. Craftsman isn't the best mower available, but I think it's the one with the most value.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread