Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carb Cleaning

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

07-08-06, 01:36 PM   #1  
Carb Cleaning

What harm am I going in the long run by useing water to clean the carbs. I use a water gun that shots a jet of water and I use that on the carbs. It works gives the mowers more power.After that I put them in the sun to air dry.

Sponsored Links

IA

07-08-06, 02:54 PM   #2  
Not a good idea, Lex. Water won't take off anything in the carburetor except a little grit. Although its good to get that out, there's a lot more that would need a petroleum solvent.

Also you're introducing moisture where you really don't want it. Some of it will be trapped in the carb cavities unless you've used compressed air to blow them out and even then it would be iffy.

Use carb cleaner and solvent to do a good job. Your biggest investment is the dismantling/reassembly of it anyway.

Hope this helps

07-08-06, 06:51 PM   #3  
Marbobj is right, you want to keep as much moiture out of the carburetor as possible.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-08-06, 11:43 PM   #4  
Are you using the water after soaking it in a bath type carb cleaner? If so, that's fine. In fact, some if not all of the bath cleaner manufacturers instruct to wash them with water after soaking them, and I do. I also blow them out with the air compressor immediately afterwards. If you're not using the bath cleaners, water isn't the best idea.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread