Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

14.5 hp b&s mower engine problem

07-08-06, 07:35 PM   #1  
14.5 hp b&s mower engine problem

Hi,

I hope someone here can give me some help. I tried using the search and could not find what I was looking for.

I have a Yard machines lawn tractor with a 14.5 hp briggs and stratton engine. The mower starts, runs for about 20 seconds, or maybe until the engine gets warm, then quits. I can restart it, but it only runs for a few seconds and dies. Recently I put a new spark plug in it because it wouldn't start at all. Last season I changed the oil and air filter. The tractor is only about 5 years old. I have never had any problems with it before. It is leaking (oil I think) onto the muffler and muffler housing. There is white smoke when it runs. It is dripping down from the very front of the engine (where it says OHV).

model #287707 type 1210 code 000626zd

It isn't leaking anywhere else that I can see. It has oil and gas in it, and the wiring looks okay.

Any help would be greatly apprerciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-08-06, 11:29 PM   #2  
Does it have spark when it dies? Smell the oil. Does it smell like gas?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-09-06, 12:04 AM   #3  
Thank you! I will check when I get home from work.

07-09-06, 12:06 PM   #4  
I smelled the oil and it DOES smell like gas. Plus, when I loosened the bolts on the front where it leaks when it is running (my illustrated parts manual says this is the head) what leaks is thicker than gas, thinner than oil, looks like oil and smells like gas. So what is my next step. Is something cracked? Do I have to drain everything, find the leak/crack, clean the entire engine and then try to get it running?

Please help.

And thank you.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-10-06, 01:37 AM   #5  
First, don't run it like that until it's fixed. The carburetor is leaking gas into the cylinder, and it is seeping past the rings and contaminating the oil. Remove the carb bowl and clean it out, make sure the float doesn't have fuel in it, and replace the needle. Once you've verified that the carb is not leaking anymore, change the oil. For the next few times you get ready to use it, check the oil carefully before use. If it is higher than it was last time you used it, and/or smells like gas again, the carb is still seeping when the mower is sitting unused. You might not have an oil leak after fixing this, since the gassy oil tends to leak everywhere, and makes the level too high. If it does still leak, just change the valve cover gasket. (only takes a few minutes).

God bless!

07-10-06, 02:10 AM   #6  
Thanks cheese. I will be back in a couple days with an update.

07-13-06, 08:00 PM   #7  
I'm no help with your problem, cecyt1300, but I do have the same mower that's just about the same age too...see we have something in common...but I'm having a different problem with mine (maybe future reference for you??). It started OK this AM and ran for about a half hour, then made a pop-pop sound and died. I was able to start it again, but it still did the pop thing and didn't want to keep running. I checked the oil...OK...the air cleaner...OK...the carburetor...OK...and the fuel filter...OK. Took out the spark plug, cleaned it (it is the original), put it back in...no go. It's like it wants to start, but it just can't. Now my battery is getting low and it won't turn over at all.

HELP!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-13-06, 10:38 PM   #8  
First, try changing the plug. If that doesn't do it, the description sounds to me like a rocker arm nut worked loose and your valve clearances got messed up. Removal of the valve cover will reveal it if that's the case.

God bless!

07-14-06, 06:24 AM   #9  
Quick reply...thanks Cheese...I'll try the new plug...but if that doesn't work you may have to talk me thru the other option!!
I'll let you know...and thanks again.

08-04-06, 05:36 AM   #10  
Finally got around to putting the new plug in....no start. And it doesn't really want to start now! So...what do I do to check the rocker arm nut and valve clearance?? Please give lots of step-by-step instructions, if you would....Thanks, Sue

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-04-06, 08:39 PM   #11  
Look at the very front of the engine where you put the spark plug in. There is a rectangular cover that says OHV and is held on with 4 bolts. Put a little pan under that area to catch oil drips and then remove that cover. Watch for any parts that may fall out in case it broke a valve. If there are parts loose, then you have problems. If not, you'll want to check valve clearances before putting the cover back on.

God bless!

08-12-06, 04:14 AM   #12  
You were right...the rocker arm nut was loose, but I also found that a small metal "cap" had fallen off of the top the valve (?).
I put it back on, tightened the nut and the engine did start...but it wasn't running right. I checked again and found that both "caps" were off. I put them back on, replaced the valve cover and left it alone. So...broken valve or valves now? Thanks, Sue

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-13-06, 08:46 PM   #13  
Hopefully you didn't tighten them too tight and bend a push rod. You have to set the valves. Do you have feeler guages? Put the "caps" back on, and set them both to .005" with the engine just past top dead center. Make sure you get the set screw in the center of the adjuster nuts tight when they're adjusted.

God bless!

Search this Thread