white rider

Old 07-10-06, 08:49 PM
white rider

bought a used whiteoutdoors riding mower and im looking for a wiring diagram (its a basket case) but the model number and serial number tag is missing from under the seat and mtd tells me they cant help me without them.

the guy I bought it from tells me its a 2000-2002 model somewhere in that range. it has a 17.5 b&s duel piston with a 46 inch deck. any have any ideas.

thanks
phin

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-06, 10:15 PM
Phin,

Can't supply a wiring diagram but they are not that complex. What is your problem? We may be able to help...?

God Bless,
Dave237

Old 07-10-06, 10:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The engine should have a model, type and code number on it. The first 2 digits of the code are the year it was made. That should help narrow it down a bit if the engine is original. As far as getting a model#, about all I can think of is finding a mower like yours, either on an internet search, or just looking at mowr shops, etc... and get a model# off of one like yours. Finding an exact match may be difficult, but you might find one close enough to have the same wiring schematic. Many schematics cover several models anyway.

Old 07-11-06, 07:49 AM
my first idea was to ripe it all out and start over and truth be told more than likely thats whats going to happen. But I'm not really sure how the charging system works.

need to find tie rod ends for it also. I guess the best thing to do is haul it to the only repair shop around and ask him. But as with every monopoly his prices are really high.

engin:
Mod.# 42A707
type. 2238E1
code 0005025A

thanks
phin

Old 07-11-06, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The charging system on that engine is simple. The red wire coming out from under the flywheel (paired with another wire, probably black) goes to the positive side of the battery. You can run it to the pos side of the solenoid if you want. The other wire is for running the lights.

Old 07-11-06, 10:01 PM
It`s an 18 hp Briggs and Stratton. You`ll find those wires on the left side bihind the Carburetor. The second wire from the altenator is "white" for the lighting system. The red one has a one way diode on it.

Old 07-12-06, 01:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mike, I have several of these opposed twins at the shop. I just looked at one with the same exact model#. The lighting wire from the stator is black on it, and on every single one I have. Some mowers have a white wire on the mower harness for the lighting, but not the engine side. Secondly, what difference does it make? The lighting wire is not the one in discussion.

Old 07-12-06, 05:45 AM
I can narrow this down well with just a few questions answered. What size are the rear tires? What type of drive system does it have (hydro, trans-matic)? What size is the mower deck? Where is the discharge opening of the deck (side or rear)? Supply these answers and I'll give you a similar model number you can use on MTD's website and input such and get a wire diagram that should work just fine for you.

Last edited by puey61; 07-13-06 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 06:30 PM
ME!? WRONG!? LOL
By god your right cheese.
I stand corrected.

Last edited by mikesmalleng; 07-12-06 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-14-06, 08:00 AM
a friend came over and rewired it for me. but no safteys now but I guess I can live with that. but I have a question on the gauge of the wire running to the starter. What would you guys recommend. it looks smaller than 10 ga. to me. the problem is the starter and wires running to it get really hot when used. even if used once to start it.

thanks for all the help
phin

Old 07-16-06, 09:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would use larger than 10 guage wire for all battery cables and the starter cable. The larger the better, to a point. 6 would be good.