4.5 hp briggs won't start unless primed and dies with less than full tank of gas

Old 07-11-06, 08:38 AM
pk3
4.5 hp briggs won't start unless primed and dies with less than full tank of gas

I have a similar issue. My MTD 4.5hp mower with a brigs 4.5 hp motor.
It won't stay running unless I have a full tank of gas. I also can't get it started unless I prime with some gas in the carb. It will stay running until it is down to 3/4 tank then it stalls, unless I keep pushing the primer button.
I Drained old gas, sprayed it out twice with carb cleaner, and put in new gas.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-06, 12:10 PM
Sounds like you need to clean the carb.(Wait) years ago I had the same problem on an old 7 Hp B&S morder mixer.Thought I'd forgot.I guess the old saying "hard lessons are never forgot" is true Hua.Anyway come to find out,a piece of cardboard had gotton inside the feul tank.And after so long a time it would be sucked over the fuel outlet hole.Causing it to run out of gas.It Wouldn't crank back until I opened the tank.Just like a vapper lock.

Check this first.Then clean the carb.

Old 07-11-06, 02:41 PM
You should have the "Classic" Briggs engine in which case you should replace the diaphragm, part number 495770. To be sure you have this engine, what are the ID numbers of the engine?

Old 07-11-06, 07:15 PM
pk3
model ybsxs 1581va 274460

model ybsxs 1581va 274460

Old 07-11-06, 09:44 PM
That`s not the model # of the engine. Look for (black) metal piece above the muffler. or on the blower housing above the spark plug. It should start with 11

Old 07-21-06, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by pk3
I have a similar issue. My MTD 4.5hp mower with a brigs 4.5 hp motor.
It won't stay running unless I have a full tank of gas. I also can't get it started unless I prime with some gas in the carb. It will stay running until it is down to 3/4 tank then it stalls, unless I keep pushing the primer button.
I Drained old gas, sprayed it out twice with carb cleaner, and put in new gas.
IT SOUND LIKE A QUATR ENGINE POSSIBLY A 10902 IF SO IT PROBABLY NEEDS A NEW CARB. DIAPHAMRAM KIT. IF YOUR FEUL TANK IS MOUTED BELOW CARBORATOR THAN IT IS INDEED A QUATRO WITH A PULSA PRIME CARB (NOT A QUANTUM) IN THIS CASE YOU SHOULD NEVER SPRAY CARB CLEANERS IN THIS TYPE OF CARB.AS IT WILL DISTORT THE DIAPHRAM AND POSSIBLY THE MINLON HOUSING,NON CLORINATED BRAKE CLEANER IS RECOMENDED.