Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs 18hp fuel pump?

FL

07-11-06, 12:39 PM   #1  
Briggs 18hp fuel pump?

Hello all - haven't been here in a while but it's still the great forum I remember. I'm working on a friend's mower that hasn't run in 2 years or so. Removed all the stale gas and replaced with fresh. The engine will fire right up and run all day as long as you keep a supply of starting fluid going into the carb, otherwise it dies. New fuel line and the filter flows freely. Took apart the carb and it is really clean but there is no gas in the bowl. I know everyone is thinking - DUH, fuel pump - but I've never worked on one of these diaphram pumps mounted to the carb so before I order a fuel pump kit I just wanted to check with the group to make sure I haven't missed anything. Is there any way to test this pump other than the obvious fact that there is no gas in the bowl? The engine is a Briggs model 422707 , type 1253-01, code 9210315B (18hp Twin II) - Thanks

Sponsored Links

NY

07-11-06, 02:38 PM   #2  
You would be best off buying a complete carburetor/pump rebuild kit rather than just a pump kit alone. If you have a three screw pump the kit is part number 694056 for about $14. If you have a four screw pump the kit is part number 693503 for about $24. If you want only the pump kit it is 393397, 3 screw and 693502 for the 4 screw. There are no values listed or able to test for vacuum or pressure of the pump, just a visual inspection of such is all you have to go on.

FL

07-12-06, 10:02 AM   #3  
Thanks

Thanks for the info and saving me from looking up the part numbers :-) .

FL

07-24-06, 06:58 PM   #4  
Did the trick

Carb kit did the trick, starts without choke and runs like a champ. Neighbor should be proud. Thanks for the input. One other thing to look for is the routing of hoses from previous "fixers". Last person had the vac line confused with the fuel line. Again, thanks.

Search this Thread