Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

makita no spark

AL

07-11-06, 07:18 PM   #1  
makita no spark

I have a makita DC520i that will not start. i put in a new plug. i have tried putting gas in the plug hole but will not start. it seemthe carb is ok as i can see gas in it. any thoughts on what to check first. thanks SL

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-11-06, 08:44 PM   #2  
Have you checked visually to be sure there is no spark? If no spark, unplug the kill wire from the coil and check for spark. If still no spark, either the plug wire is shorting to the case or engine somewhere or the coil is bad.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

07-15-06, 07:29 PM   #3  
no spark

well i have no spark and it doesnt look like the wires are shorting. they look good to me. tried unpluging the stop wire and still no spark. but the coil is expensive so i want to be sure there is nothing else wrong before i replace it. could it be the on off switch? and how can i check that? thanks

IA

07-16-06, 02:55 PM   #4  
What Cheese suggested will tell you if your coil is bad. Make sure the wire you took off is at the coil and not at the switch.

Hope this helps

AL

07-16-06, 08:25 PM   #5  
makita no spark

yes my ignition coil is bad but my parts lists and diagram shows an (ignition assembly) and a (igniton coil w. elec.) which one do i order? the first one is more expensive. thanks again.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-16-06, 08:31 PM   #6  
This saw doesn't have points does it? I don't think I've ever seen a makita saw with points. Look on the coil for a part number, and match that to your parts list.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

07-29-06, 03:19 PM   #7  
I finally figured it out. I got a new coil assembly now running great!! thanks for all help

Search this Thread