Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I need to buy a new chain saw.......

IL

07-13-06, 07:27 AM   #1  
I need to buy a new chain saw.......

Hello,

I need to buy a new chain saw and was looking for recommendations. I am not looking for anything too high tech, it will be used for cutting down a lot of overgrown shrubs and some tree branches.

Thanks.
PS.. I am off to work so I will not be able to respond until later.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-13-06, 10:38 AM   #2  
If you are doing light work, and don't anticipate needing a saw for heavy work later, and will be close to a source of power, I would reccomend going with an electric saw. Much less trouble, easier to start, and usually runs right.

If you don't think electric will fit the bill, gas saws range in price just as much as they range in quality. If you spend very little, don't have high hopes for longevity, reliability, and power. My favorite brands of saws include Stihl, Husquvarna (the higher end models), and Echo. There are many other quality brands out there, most of which you won't find at a box store.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-13-06, 12:56 PM   #3  
I prefer sthil also. I bought my first saw at sears with the extra warranty. It wasn't the best saw but the warranty was great! Some of the repairs were done because of my stupidity learning to use the saw - but it was fixed under warranty anyway

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

IL

07-13-06, 09:22 PM   #4  
Thanks a lot. I was leaning towards an electric saw since its lighter (i've got wrist problems). I went to Home Depot and saw a Remington brand...........any opinons?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-13-06, 10:32 PM   #5  
No opinions really on electric saw from me. I don't know which ones are any better than the others. I don't think there are a whole lot to choose from. Electric saws are generally light duty and I haven't seen any that really impressed me to the point of standing apart from the other electric saws. That said, I don't work on many electric saws, so I may not be the best one to be asking.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-14-06, 04:43 AM   #6  
When my parents moved into a retirement home/community I inherited my fathers electric 3hp chainsaw [mac] I have only used it once but was suprised at how much power it has.

I've never used any of the wrist bands but found that the ones for your elbow [got tennis elbow] were helpfull back when I worked everyday.

OH

07-14-06, 04:48 AM   #7  
I was just talking with a maintenance guy that works for me yesterday. He had a Remington electric saw and an extension pole in the back of his truck. He said he paid something like $90 bucks for it at the orange box store and he just loves it. It's the 1st electric chain saw he's ever used and was very surprised at the power it has.

IL

07-18-06, 07:34 AM   #8  
I decided to go with the Remington and the only negative I can say about it is that the chain loosened too fast. I had only been using it for 15 mins and the chain came off. Is that normal?

Thanks again for the help.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-18-06, 10:39 AM   #9  
You should never use a saw with a chain loose enough to come off. It may not have been tight enough to start with although new chains do have a break in period. The chain should have a small amount of slack when correctly adjusted. Your owners manual should go into detail about adjusting the chain.

07-20-06, 08:31 AM   #10  
I have a Remington electric saw, and I love the damn thing...SO much nicer to deal with than a gas saw, and as someone said, surprisingly powerful. As long as you're within an extension cord's length away from an outlet, you're set.

Yeah, you have to keep an eye on the chain slack, and you have to be sure you keep it filled with oil. I've had to periodically open up the case of the thing to muck out all the oil-soaked sawdust that it seems to fill up with, but that's pretty easy.

Search this Thread