Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mac 38cc won't start

07-13-06, 09:51 AM   #1  
Mac 38cc won't start

Have a Mac weed whipper that suddenly won't start. 2 weeks ago used it - ran fine. Put it away until I needed it again and now suddenly won't even start or come close to starting. I have changed the spark plug and fuel filter. It is getting spark. Have sprayed carb cleaner in the cylinder and it won't even begin to fire up. What else could it be? Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-13-06, 10:28 AM   #2  
Does the plug look wet after trying to start it? Does it have good compression? Any smoke out the muffler when trying to start?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-13-06, 01:22 PM   #3  
It has good compression. Cannot say whether the plug is wet as I have never checked. No smoke out of the muffler either - don't think the fuel is getting burned since it doesn;t even act like it wants to start. Even when I put fuel in the cylinder it doesn't even begin to start. I was thinking spark timing - is that possible? Would it be easy to diagnose? If that was it, would it be cheaper to buy a new one? Thanks again for the help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-13-06, 10:55 PM   #4  
Look at the muffler outlet port. I think something may have nested in it and clogged it. In my area (and they may be all over the country), we have wasps that build mud nests in small holes. They can build these nests in no-time, and a 2-stroke engine muffler usually has just the right size hole that they like to use. If it's clogged entirely, it won't ever start until you clear it out.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-14-06, 07:15 AM   #5  
We have them in Michigan also. Air hoses/tools in my garage must be connected to something or covered. They even like the round ground hole on three pronged electrical outlets. Thanks for the idea cheese, I have a Mac chainsaw with a similar baffling problem.

Search this Thread