Lawnmower starts, then stops

Old 07-13-06, 10:31 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lawnmower starts, then stops

My lawnmower (6.5hp Briggs & Stratton engine) will start, but will not run more than 1-2 seconds. It starts & revs just fine, but immediately dies like it is losing spark. I've never had any problems with it before. It does burn a lot of oil, I'm not sure if that is related or not. I got it cheap/used, so I never really looked into it. It blows out blue (oil) smoke, in puffs, not continuously. If it was the rings, I would think it would be continuous, but I'm not sure where else it could be leaking oil into the cylinders.

I had been mowing & it was running fine, it stopped all of a sudden & I thought it was out of gas (tank was empty). I re-filled it & it started doing this. Any chance running it out would have caused a problem with the carb? I wouldn't think so, I know I'm not the first one to run a lawnmower out of gas.

I removed & cleaned the spark plug, it had a crust on it from the oil. Cleaning didn't help any. Any tips? What should I look for? I've done a decent amount of work on engines before, but not small engines like this...what should I look for?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by SteveR; 07-13-06 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-13-06, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It sounds as if you have a pin hole in the diaphragm in the carb. You have enough gas to get it to start, but it starves when it tries to push more gas than it can with the hole in it. You can probably access it without removing the carb. Look for the square looking plate with 4 screws in the corners. Remove it and the diaphragm, but don't lose the spring. Look at the diaphragm in direct sunlight to see the hole.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: