Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Which is best Kohler or Briggs

07-13-06, 05:07 PM   #1  
Which is best Kohler or Briggs

Buying a new lawn tractor. The 2 Main engines I have to choose from is a Kohler 20 Hp Twin Cam with OHV, with spin on oil filter or a Briggs 22 Hp V Twin with spin on oil filter. Cub Cadet has the Kohler and Craftsman Has the Briggs.
Any thoughts will be appreciated. TIA

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-13-06, 10:45 PM   #2  
Twin cam Kohler...that would be the courage series. It's a fairly new line from kohler, and I haven't seen enough of them to have formed an opinion yet. I guess they're still new enough to not be having much problem yet. If they're anywhere near as good as the older command engines, they'll be excellent engines.

The Briggs is probably an Intek. If so, it's a decent engine, but not among my favorites. If it were me buying, I'd probably be inclined to get the craftsman with a kohler.

Just my 2 cents.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Non-US

07-14-06, 07:26 PM   #3  
I'm not sure about the new Kohlers, But I would buy the Kohler over the briggs any day, Kinda like "Ford or Chev".question!! Both great engines, but I'd get the Kohler if it was my money. Just my opinion, tho

NC

07-14-06, 11:08 PM   #4  
catpuff,

Engines + Mower's, "now day's"; are like comparing Apple's to PC's. One may have this but the other may not have that for this $$$$.

Either way, you'll turn a wrench at one point or another. I promise.... One engine is about as good as the other, IMHO, with just one exception, however, I will not say which.......!

Kohler, Briggs...?

Each have their own problems however, in the very competetive mower market all no hackers have been put to death long ago,.., more may come..... but in summary, I say..... Use less wallet and more judgement! Ask yourself a question,,,,,, What do you need in Features vs. HP!

Dave237,
God Bless

07-15-06, 04:44 PM   #5  
I'm partial to briggs because they can take a good beating and keep running.... I have one I run all the old weed eater gas in, and old gas..... doesn't care. Its really up to you to decide in the end, both are great engines.

Search this Thread